You are here
Family Bank: eticur)
Labs and Locations
The stem cells from eticur) are safely stored in FamiCord tanks at BioKryo GmbH in Sulzbach in Saarland and monitored and controlled responsibly by BioKryo.
- eticur) GmbH was originally a spin off from the University of Erlangen.
- The University of Erlangen has processed bone marrow since 1992, has operated their own GMP lab since 1998, and began cord blood banking 1999.
- eticur) has marketed cord blood banking since 2005. They competed in the German market with low prices.
- In July 2020, eticur) was acquired by FamiCord.
eticur) kit provides supplies for gravity collection into a Macopharma blood bag with CPD anti-coagulant. This bag is sterile both inside and out for C-section deliveries. The disinfection supplies are CutaSept®
eticur) container has gel packs and a temperature logger. It is validated to maintain room temperature for 48 hours under test conditions.
- The contract price includes shipping and the arrangements are made by eticur)
- Shipping is only done within Germany.
- The courier service is available 24/7
- Transportation to the laboratory is within 24 hours (not the allowed 48 hr)
The separation process isolates the "buffy coat" layer of blood holding white cells and stem cells. This is stored together with a sample of maternal blood and 4 testing portions. eticur) provides parents with a certificate describing test results: cell counts, viability, HLA-markers, and tests for infectious diseases.
- eticur) final storage is in blood bags.
- The bags are encased in over-wrap and placed inside metal cases that load on racks in the freezer
- The bags go first into temporary storage in a quarantine freezer, then move to a long term freezer
- The freezer uses the vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen
Licensing & Accreditation
BioKryo GmbH is accredited by the AABB international standard.
So far, no cord blood collections in eticur) family storage have yet been released for therapy.