You are here
Family Bank: PBKM FamiCord
Polski Bank Komórek Macierzystych S.A. (PBKM), is the only family cord blood bank in Poland that is accredited by AABB and ISO 9001:2008. They lead the international banking network FamiCord, controlled by Enterprise Investors, that operates in more than 20 European countries and owns 5 laboratories.
Labs and Locations
Famicord owns these laboratories:
Poland (Warsaw) - Polski Bank Komórek Macierzystych S.A. (PBKM)
Hungary (Budapest) - Krio
Spain (Girona) - Sevibe Cells
Romania (Bucharest) - Biogenis
Turkey (Ankara) - Yasam Bankasi
FamiCord also sub-contracts storage to these laboratories:
USA (new Jersey) - Community Blood Services
Germany (Leipzig) - InnovaStem at Bio City
Hungary (Miskolc) - Miskolc Hospital
- FamiCord is currently controlled by Enterprise Investors.
- The history of Famicord began in 2002 with cord blood banking at the lab of PBKM.
- FamiCord currently (Feb. 2013) processes about 1200 cord blood collections per month, which gives them the 3rd position in Europe.
- FamiCord cord blood inventory among the bank's 4 labs is currently (Feb. 2013) more than 70.000, 4th largest in Europe.
- FamiCord began public banking in 2011 and now has more than 400 donations that may be searched by patients in need of a match.
- FamiCord owns a network of medical consultants and staff that answer telephones and e-mails.
- Number of employees within FamiCord Group: 200
Proprietary bag developed by CryoProfile Company for PBKM
Type of anti-coagulant: CPD
Container is IATA certified
The contract price includes shipping.
Laboratory technicians perform manual cell separation by sedimentation and centrifuge.
The final storage is the separated "buffy coat", a blood component that holds white cells and stem cells. Also 4 testing segments are stored.
- Final storage in cord blood freezing bags packed in metal cassettes
- Freezer uses vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen
Licensing & Accreditation
Some laboratories are accredited by their national Ministry of Health.
International accreditation of the laboratories owned by FamiCord:
Poland (Warsaw) - PBKM - AABB, ISO 9001:2008
Hungary (Budapest) - Krio - AABB, ISO 9001:2008
Spain (Girona) - Sevibe Cells -
Romania (Bucharest) - Biogenis -
Turkey (Ankara) - Yasam Bankasi -
- FamiCord family storage released for transplants: 11
- FamiCord family storage released to the child who banked (autologous therapy): 1 (PBKM)
- FamiCord also collects cord blood donations for the public
- FamiCord participates in clinical trials (under bioethical committee approvals) using stem cells from cord blood and cord tissue.
If the privately stored cord blood is released for treatment, the family will receive a monetary amount to help cover the costs of therapy.
- Free banking to families where an immediate relative has a diagnosis for which transplantation is standard therapy.
- Discounts to medical doctors.
FamiCord total cost = $200 (enrollment) + $500 (processing) + $125 (annual storage fee)
Discounts for pre-paid annual storage: 20 years in advance costs 1500$
Payment plans and discounts available upon request
Storage of umbilical cord tissue, aka Wharton's Jelly
Newborn genetic testing
Prices with Additional Services
Offer cord tissue banked together with cord blood for additional $200 processing, plus additional $20 annual storage fee .