You are here
Family Bank: Cord Blood Registry
is the world’s largest and most experienced newborn stem cell company. Since 1992, families have entrusted CBR to store more than 875,000 cord blood and cord tissue samples. CBR has helped over 500 families use their cord blood samples as part of a stem cell transplant or for investigational regenerative applications.
In their mission to advance the real-life applications of newborn stem cells, CBR stays at the forefront of the science in this ever-evolving industry. They advocate for their clients by providing invaluable resources like genetic counselors to help answer medical questions pertaining to newborn stem cells.They also created the Family Health RegistryTM. CBR client families who join the Family Health Registry are the first to know about important clinical trials that could potentially help their loved ones.
Labs and Locations
CBR’s laboratory is located in Tucson, Arizona, where cord blood and cord tissue collections are processed 365 days a year. Their state-of-the-art facility has the capacity to store five million newborn stem cell samples. CBR’s corporate office is located in Los Angeles, California.
Call 1.888.CORDBLOOD to (International callers can call 1.650.635.1420):
- Speak to a CBR Newborn Stem Cell Educator. They’re available Monday - Friday 6 a.m. - 8 p.m. PST or Saturday - Sunday 6 a.m. - 4 p.m. PST.
- Already a client? Speak with a Client Support Specialist for assistance with your account. You can also send them a message or request a call with them here.
- Get connected to a CBR Genetic Counselor if you have questions about how newborn stem cells may be applicable for your family history.
- Arrange pickup of your collection kit after birth.
- Reach a 24-hour emergency response hotline (available to clients only).
Over the past 25+ years, CBR has maintained its leadership in the industry by storing more than 875,000 cord blood and cord tissue collections from over 47,000 healthcare providers in more than 100 countries.
They’ve also helped more than 500 families use their cord blood stem cells for established transplant medicine uses or investigational regenerative medicine uses for conditions that have no cure today.
CBR designed an innovative cord blood collection bag with several unique features to help maximize collection volume. These features include an ActiveFloTM chamber, which can help dislodge any blockages to restore the flow of blood.
Additionally, only CBR offers the advantage of a cord blood collection bag that includes a dry form of anticoagulant, lyophilized heparin. All other companies use a liquid anticoagulant called citrate phosphate dextrose (CPD). An anticoagulant helps keep the cells from clotting during transportation. With lyophilized heparin:
- Healthcare providers can clearly see how much blood is in the collection bag, which may contribute to larger collection volume, since providers are less likely to prematurely end the collection process.
- Compared to CPD, cell viability and concentration have been shown to be maintained over a longer period of time.5,71
- Compared to CPD, a 30% average greater cell viability has been demonstrated 48 hours after collection.71
Having more cells available could mean more possibilities in the future. By combining the AutoXpress Platform® (AXP) automated processing system with their collection bag containing lyophilized heparin, CBR is able to preserve a higher average yield of cells.86,119
In 2010, CBR pioneered cord tissue preservation in the U.S. They transport tissue in their CordCup™, which contains an antibiotic solution called CordPrep™ that helps protect the tissue from contamination during transportation.
CBR’s validated, crush-resistant collection kit is built with a dense foam insulant that increases shock absorption and helps shield samples from extreme temperatures. It also helps ensure that their collection kit keeps samples safe and secure during transit.
Whether you're delivering at a hospital, birthing center, or your home, CBR’s couriers can come straight to you within a few hours, 365 days a year. Their medical courier of choice, Quick International, has 30 years of experience in the transportation of blood and tissue, so you can be sure your samples will be transported properly.
CBR also provides a secure chain of custody through Quick International, which means all samples are electronically tracked. Families can receive text or email updates on shipping and delivery. If a sample is lost or damaged while in transit with Quick International, clients are covered by a $2,500 warranty.
CBR put a lot of thought into choosing their cord blood processing system. Fast, precise, and consistent results are a must—which is one of the many reasons CBR uses AutoXpress Platform® (AXP). AXP is an automated processing technology that reduces the risks often associated with manual processing.
- AXP uses centrifugation and an optical sensor to separate cells. Unlike other methods, it does not introduce chemical additives.
- When combined with cord blood collected in their anticoagulant of choice, dry heparin, AXP has been shown to result in a 99% average cell recovery rate, the highest published rate in the industry.1,69,116
- Why is that number significant? Cord blood has a finite number of powerful stem cells. An efficient and precise processing method can mean a larger reserve of cells stored for your family’s future.
- AXP is also the same cord blood processing system used by the New York Blood Center, the largest public cord blood bank. It’s no mistake that the largest private bank (CBR) and public bank both chose an efficient, automated system.
*AXP and AutoXpress are registered trademarks of Cesca Therapeutics.
- As part of their Cord Tissue CompleteTM service, CBR first evaluates the health and quality of their clients’ cord tissue with ActivCord™, the first test of its kind to measure the health of the whole cord tissue.
- While cord tissue science is still in its early stages, they believe that the best in technology and applications is yet to come. And since extraction techniques may vary depending on how the cells are used, they believe storing cord tissue whole preserves the most possibilities for patients. All the data indicate that the MSCs isolated from cryopreserved cord tissue have the special properties needed for future clinical use.
- This means preserving cord tissue now puts all its great cells in your family’s “back pocket,” maximizing potential future options.
CBR stores newborn stem cells in the form of cord blood, cord tissue, or both.
- For cord blood, CBR uses the AXP processing method to remove plasma, reduce the red blood cells, and retain the hematopoietic stem cells.
- By freezing cord tissue in whole segments, CBR preserves all the potentially beneficial cell types, including mesenchymal, endothelial, and epithelial cells.
- CBR has a Quality Standard that all cord blood and cord tissue samples are measured against. If a sample’s results fall outside of their parameters, a clinical specialist will follow up with the family to review the results.
- Once their samples are successfully stored, families are given a Certificate of Deposit to print for their records. This can be accessed via the Client Center, so they can obtain their information anytime.
CBR uses a seamless, multi-compartment cryobag, offering more protection for your cord blood samples by decreasing the potential for breakage that can occur in traditional, seamed-plastic storage bags. Additionally, all cord blood and cord tissue samples are placed in a second overwrap layer of plastic, which is hermetically sealed, as an extra precaution.
All units are stored in dewars, which are large, insulated vessels specially designed for long-term cryostorage. Units are suspended above a pool of liquid nitrogen that creates a vapor-phase environment kept at minus 196 degrees Celsius. This keeps the units as cold as liquid nitrogen without immersing them in liquid, which can enable cross-contamination.
CBR also protects clients’ samples in the following ways:
- Keeping their storage facility in Tucson, Arizona, which historically has a low risk of natural disasters like earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and floods.
- 24/7/365 monitoring of newborn stem cell samples. They perform more than 500,000 sample and equipment checks annually.
- Investing millions of dollars to ensure proper backups of their critical power systems. This includes two 9,000-gallon backup tanks of liquid nitrogen.
- Visit their Support & Stability page to take a video tour and learn more about their storage and laboratory facility.
How long can units remain viable in cryopreservation? Cord blood cells stored for 23 years have been shown to behave similarly to freshly collected cord blood cells.45 Based on this information, it is believed that, when stored properly, cord blood units should be able to be stored indefinitely.
Licensing & Accreditation
CBR maintains standards for cellular therapy services through FDA registration, CLIA certification, and AABB accreditation.
As a family cord blood storage provider, CBR adheres to standards from various regulatory agencies and accrediting bodies, including:
- FDA Tissue Establishment Registration
- FDA Medical Device Registration
- CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment) Certification
- AABB Accreditation
Additionally, they have biologic and laboratory licenses in the following states:
- New Jersey
- New York
Since quality management and consistency is so important to CBR, they’ve sought additional testing and licensing to become an ISO 9001:2015 certified facility. This way, clients know that CBR will handle each sample with the highest standards of care, consideration, and consistency.
Advancing the science of newborn stem cells is central to CBR’s mission. That’s why they were the first family newborn stem cell company to partner with leading research institutions to establish FDA-regulated clinical trials exploring the potential regenerative ability of cord blood stem cells to help treat conditions that have no cure today. These included autism, acquired hearing loss, cerebral palsy, and pediatric stroke. Read more about the clinical trials CBR has supported on their website.
In addition to clinical trials, CBR has also released cord blood units for use in other investigational settings. In fact, 80% of the stem cell units released by CBR have been used for experimental regenerative therapies.
As of early 2019, CBR has released more than 500 cord blood samples for use by their client families. 100% of the samples have been deemed suitable for use by the treating physician. CBR also has a dedicated and highly experienced Transplant Team that helps simplify the use process for families and the treating facility.
CBR takes quality seriously. They also understand that parents are making an investment in their newborn’s stem cells. That’s why they tell families about the quality of their samples, helping them protect their investment.
- Quality Standard. CBR tests every cord blood sample for cell count, sterility, and viability. Also, every cord tissue sample receives their ActivCord test. CBR alerts families if the results fall below the defined parameters they’ve set.
- Quality Service Guarantee. If cord blood stem cells fail to engraft during transplantation, customers receive a full refund for cord blood services plus an additional $50,000.
For more information, visit their Support & Stability page.
Since it was founded, CBR has allocated millions of dollars to support its Newborn Possibilities Program® (NPP). The NPP assists families with a qualifying medical need by covering all costs for processing their child’s newborn stem cells and preserving them for five years. To date, the NPP has enrolled more than 6,000 families.
CBR supports the March of Dimes Tucson chapter, with CBR employees leading internal fundraisers and participating in the annual walk.
- Payment plans for initial fees start at $47 per month.
- Annual storage is $175 per sample, per year.
- CBR offers special pricing for military and returning families.
- While it is recommended to get an account set up well in advance of the due date, no payment is due until after birth. Learn more about the affordable options here.
- They also provide services for families delivering outside the U.S.
Through their Family Health Registry, CBR identifies conditions that are common among CBR families. This information helps to advance and guide newborn stem cell research. Participating families will receive a personalized research summary.
Families with a qualifying medical need can apply for five years of free preservation through CBR’s Newborn Possibilities Program. It’s CBR’s way of taking care of families that need it the most. If you think your family may qualify, call to speak with a Genetic Counselor.
Experts are just a phone call away. CBR’s team of genetic counselors are here to guide families through each step of the preservation process and answer questions about how newborn stem cells may be applicable for their family history.