You are here
AboutParent bank: PBKM FamiCord
In 2019, Izvorna Celica celebrated 10 years of business in Slovenia. Izvorna Celica is part of the Bio Save Group, operating in 7 countries of South East Europe to provide expectant parents with education and access to storage of newborn stem cells. As part of the Bio Save Group, Izvorna Celica has access to Bio Save Foundation, which helps families in need for stem cell therapy. The Bio Save Group works in partnership with FamiCord, the largest family cord blood banking network in Europe.
- FamiCord is currently controlled by Enterprise Investors.
- The history of Famicord began in 2002 with cord blood banking at the lab of PBKM.
- FamiCord currently (Oct. 2018) is the largest cord blood bank in Europe.
- FamiCord also offers public donation of cord blood.
- FamiCord owns a network of medical consultants and staff that answer telephones and e-mails.
Proprietary bag developed by CryoProfile Company for PBKM
Type of anti-coagulant: CPD
Container is IATA certified
The contract price includes shipping.
Laboratory technicians perform manual cell separation by sedimentation and centrifuge.
The final storage is the separated "buffy coat", a blood component that holds white cells and stem cells. Also 4 testing segments are stored.
- Final storage in cord blood freezing bags packed in metal cassettes
- Freezer uses vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen
Licensing & Accreditation
Some FamiCord laboratories are accredited by their national Ministry of Health. These FamiCord laboratories are accredited by AABB for cord blood banking: PBKM in Poland, Krio in Hungary, Sevibe Cells in Spain.
- FamiCord family storage released for transplants: 45
- FamiCord also collects cord blood donations for the public, and has released 1 donation for a transplant.
- FamiCord participates in clinical trials (under bioethical committee approvals) using stem cells from cord blood and cord tissue.
If the privately stored cord blood is released for treatment, the family will receive a monetary amount to help cover the costs of therapy.
- Free banking to families where an immediate relative has a diagnosis for which transplantation is standard therapy.
- Discounts to medical doctors.
FamiCord total cost = $200 (enrollment) + $500 (processing) + $125 (annual storage fee)
Discounts for pre-paid annual storage: 20 years in advance costs 1500$
Payment plans and discounts available upon request
Storage of umbilical cord tissue, aka Wharton's Jelly
Newborn genetic testing