You are here
Family Bank: VidaCel
VidaCel was the first private cord blood bank for family storage in Chile, founded in 2004. VidaCel is part of Abbott, a leading global pharmaceutical company focused on the health and safety of people. VidaCel is the cord blood leader in Chile, with GMP standards in processing and storage of stem cells. We have representatives throughout Chile. In 2006 VidaCel established the first and only Public cord blood bank in Chile. Combined with their family storage of cord blood, VidaCel was the first hybrid cord blood bank in Latin America.
Labs and Locations
The VidaCel Processing Laboratory is centrally located in Santiago, Chile. The laboratory is FDA registered, and authorized to operate in all the country. We are the first cord blood bank in Chile in having a quality management system according to international standard ISO 9001:2008, certified by Bureau Veritas.
- VidaCel is part of a multinational company, Abbot Laboratory, and therefore has its back, unique in our country.
- Our team is headed by Dr. Alejandro Guiloff.
- Since 2004, more than 20.000 families put their trust in us to preserve the cord blood of their children.
- VidaCel is currently the #1 provider of family cord blood units for transplant in Chile.
- Phone lines are available for emergency calls 24 hr / 7 days a week.
- VidaCel´s FDA-approved collection bag is sterile and suitable for all deliveries including Cesarean deliveries. The collection bag was developed in collaboration with medical equipment manufacturer Pall Corporation.
- VidaCel´s cord blood collection bag is pre-filled with citrate phosphate dextrose (CPD), an FDA-approved anti-coagulant that also functions as a cell preservative.
- VidaCel´s collection kit provides an antiseptic wipe to clean the umbilical cord prior to collecting the cord blood.
- VidaCel arranges shipping for any clinic nationwide, to retrieve the sample from the hospital and arrange for transport to the processing laboratory. This service has NO additional cost to parents.
- Courier service is available 24/7, 365 days a year.
VidaCel uses the traditional manual processing method with hetastarch, which they have employed for the past 13 years.
- Reports: VidaCel customers are provided a certificate of cryopreservation.
- In addition to storing the cord blood unit in two portions, VidaCel stores three contiguous samples for unit testing and HLA typing
VidaCel´s final product is stored in a cryogenic storage bag and is stored in the vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen.
Licensing & Accreditation
Vidacel is the first AABB accredited cord blood bank in Chile, since 2019.
- VidaCel has released 11 cord blood units, including both transplants and emerging therapies
- VidaCel supports research on cord blood and cord tissue at leading academic institutions in different areas.
- Annual cord blood storage fees are guaranteed not to change for 25 years.
- VidaCel gives parents support and advise with the logistics to arrange a transplant anywhere in Chile or other countries.
- If the final cord blood stem cell count is low (for transplant use), parents are informed and may choose to not store it and receive a full refund on processing and storage.
- Prenatal screening test
- Baby Screen newborn genetic testing