You are here
Family Bank: Sorgente+
Sorgente+ S.r.l. is the Italy partner of the international banking network FamiCord, the largest cord blood bank in Europe with over 400,000 banked samples. FamiCord Group has 7 active clinical trials.
Labs and Locations
Sorgente entrusts its client samples to the laboratory of Polski Bank Komórek Macierzystych S.A. (PBKM)l laboratory, at the headquarters of the FamiCord banking network.
Sorgente has staff answering telephones 365 days a year.
Sorgente+ provides a proprietary collection kit that includes:
- Supplies provided for gravity collection into a blood bag
- Sorgente+ proprietary blood bag
- Sterillium® for hand disinfection
- Type of anti-coagulant used: CPD
- The collection kit is sterile inside & outside for C-Section use
- Container includes gel packs for thermal stabilization
- Container is validated to maintain room temperature under test conditions
- Container is guaranteed to maintain room temperature for a certain number of hours
- Container includes a temperature logger
- Container meets IATA PI 650 criteria and is in accordance with EN ISO 2003 and to 93/42/EEC
- Shipping arrangements are made by Sorgente+
- Contract price includes shipping
- Standard shipping is by DHL Express (Italy) S.r.l
- The courier is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Employees of Sorgente+ pick up the blood from selected hospitals.
- Shipping is included in the base price within the home country.
Laboratory technicians perform manual cell separation by sedimentation and centrifuge.
The final storage is the separated "buffy coat", a blood component that holds white cells and stem cells. Also 4 testing segments are stored.
- Final storage in cord blood freezing bags packed in metal cassettes
- Freezer uses vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen
Licensing & Accreditation
PBKM laboratory is accredited by the international standards of AABB (formerly the American Association of Blood Banks)
- FamiCord family storage released for transplants: 45
- FamiCord also collects cord blood donations for the public.
- FamiCord participates in clinical trials (under bioethical committee approvals) using stem cells from cord blood and cord tissue.
Sorgente+ offers newborn genetic screening for:
- Drug-induced hearing loss
- Lactose intolerance
- Deficiency of AAT (Alpha-1 antitrypsin)
- Gluten Intolerance
Other services offered by Sorgente are:
- Assicura terapia: guaranteed repayment of the costs when using cord blood, up to a maximum of 5,000 €.
- Opzione 25 anni: allows the extension of storage duration up to 25 years.
- Conservazione autologa - solidale (Autologous - supportive cryopreservation) which allow to the family to donate the cord in case of compatibility.