You are here
Family Bank: New England Cord Blood Bank
New England Cord Blood Bank (NECBB), an affiliate of New England Cryogenic Center, is a private, family owned and operated cord blood bank. As pioneers in the industry with over 40 years of experience, NECBB is recognized as a global leader in the cryopreservation of cord blood and umbilical cord tissue serving countries worldwide. NECBB offers processing and storage of stem cells from your baby’s umbilical cord blood and tissue for potential use in the treatment of over 80 diseases and genetic disorders.
Open 365 days a year, cord blood and cord tissue processing, testing, verification and cryopreservation of collected stem cells is done at one location in our state of the art facility. At New England Cord Blood Bank you will receive superior personalized service. Our clients, both domestic and international, deserve nothing but knowledgeable, caring staff to address questions and concerns on a one-to-one basis.
Our commitment to you is second to none. Our goal is to give you the peace of mind and security you deserve.
Labs and Locations
Our fully accredited and licensed laboratory and cryopreservation storage facility is equipped with the latest technology for processing and cryogenic storage and are located in Marlborough, MA just west of Boston, MA, a well renowned medical locale.
A related company of New England Cord Blood Bank, Inc. is New England Cryogenic Center, a cryogenic storage facility that opened in 1971 and is one of the oldest full-service cryobanks in the world.
As pioneers in the industry, our companies are recognized as global leaders in fertility, cord blood and cord tissue preservation, as well as dental pulp cell preservation.
Our processing techniques and quality control are held to the highest standards in the industry. Leading edge technology and highly trained staff ensure optimal results by adhering to strict procedures and verification for each and every sample processed in our laboratory.
We are very proud that our laboratory staff has been recognized for their accomplishments and dedication to safety and quality with accreditation by the prestigious cell therapy standards organization AABB. As active and contributing members of AABB and the Cord Blood Association (CBA), NECBB maintains its position at the cusp of all significant developments and scientific breakthroughs in stem cell therapies.
NECBB collection kit was developed by the Pall Corporation and is pre-filled with citrate phosphate dextrose (CPD), an FDA approved anti-coagulant and cell preservative. Recent studies have shown that CPD preservative increased stem cell yield by more than 50% when compared to heparin collection bags.
- An antiseptic wipe to clean the umbilical cord prior to cord blood collection.
- Sterile collection bag that can be used in the OR during C-section births.
- Maternal Blood Tubes.
- Shipping labels/instructions.
- Transport media
NECBB collection kit comes in a special insulated container validated to maintain room temperature under test conditions.
- Shipping of cord blood kits to parents is included in the standard contract price.
- NECBB has a medical courier on staff for personalized pickup of cord blood collections from hospitals within a 50 mile radius.
- Out of area shipping is by FedEx and private medical courier shipping is available within the USA at an additional cost.
- International shipping fees vary by location.
NECBB uses the Sepax2 automated processing system to process cord blood and ensure maximum stem cell recovery. This method retrieves the greatest number of stem cells from the cord blood sample resulting in up to a 99% recovery rate, one of the highest in the industry.
On site we have our own liquid nitrogen storage system that provides high efficiency, uninterrupted service to our storage units as well as a powerful Kohler back-up generator to guarantee that your stem cells and tissue are safe and available should the need ever arise.
NECBB also has 24 hour video surveillance providing controlled access to the facility, emergency generators and a wireless temperature alarm system to ensure the safety and security of all specimens.
The component stored after processing contains white blood cells and stem cells plus testing portions to be used prior to any transplant. There are two integrally attached test segments for confirmatory HLA typing. We also store three test aliquots for additional testing: 1) initial HLA, 2) hemoglobinopathy assay and 3) post thaw viability.
Parents are provided with a personalized report from the NECBB Tissue Bank Director and Medical Director outlining the results of their cord blood processing to include:
- cord blood volume processed,
- Total Nucleated Cell (TNC)count,
- CD34+ count,
- maternal viral testing,
- and fluid.
The cord blood is stored in a two (2) compartment blood bag with two (2) integrally attached test segments. The blood bag is then placed in an overwrap pouch for additional safety then sealed. The sealed unit is set in a metal case prior to placement in the inventory system in a liquid nitrogen storage tank.
Licensing & Accreditation
New England Cryogenic Center, our sister company and processing laboratory, is AABB accredited, CLIA certified, registered with the FDA as well as Health Canada. We are licensed to operate in the following states that require separate licensing and permitting: California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Illinois, Oregon and New York.
March 2006: Oxygen deprivation at birth
July 2007: Neonatal herpes simplex encephalitis with brain damage
July 2008: Cerebral Palsy
March 2009: Mild Cerebral Palsy
March 2009: Cerebral Palsy
June 2009: Cerebral Palsy
June 2011: Cerebral Palsy
March 2013: Cerebral Palsy
February 2017: Autism
Sultan Qaboos University Hospital in Muscat, Oman:
October 2003: For Hematopoietic reconstitution
Boston Children’s Hospital:
May 2004: Fanconi Anemia
King Hussein Cancer Center in Amman, Jordan:
December 2007: ALL – Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia:
October 2006: ALL – Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
University of Minnesota Medical Center:
July 2007: Fanconi Anemia
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta:
January 2008: Medullablastoma
NECBB has the following financial compensation plans:
- The Tissue Bank Director or Medical Director may contact clients directly in cases where the processing results are out of the reference range. If the final cord blood stem cell count is low (for transplant use), parents are informed and may opt not to store it.
- Families who elect to take advantage of our prepaid storage plan and use their cord blood units before reaching their prepaid storage years may receive compensation for the unused years of storage.
- Engraftment Guarantee: If the cord blood fails to engraft during transplant, NECBB will refund all monies paid, plus up to an additional $80,000 to cover costs of alternative therapy.
We offer discounts for military, police and fire personnel as well as a discount for returning clients and our Refer-A-Friend program. The science of helping people keep their families healthy and their dream alive is our goal since 1995. Toward this end, NECBB offers competitive rates as well as interest free payment plans to all domestic clients.
- USA: Enrollment, courier, processing and 1st year storage fee: normally $1349 (cord blood only, single birth), currently on sale
- USA: Subsequent annual storage fee $150
- USA: Interest free monthly payment plans upon request. Discount pricing available (see Community Service).
- Latin America: Please contact your local sales office for prices and payment plans in your country.
Prices with Additional Services
NECBB offers processing and storage of Umbilical Cord Tissue and processing and storage of Dental Pulp Stem Cells. Interest free monthly payment plans available upon request.
Cord Blood & Cord Tissue Fees (single birth):
- Enrollment, courier, processing and 1st year storage fee: $1749 (cord blood & tissue)
- Subsequent Annual Storage: $280
- Pre-paid storage plan: Enrollment, courier, processing and 20 years storage: $5469 (cord blood & tissue)
Dental Pulp Fees:
- Enrollment, courier, processing and 1st year storage fee: $695
- Subsequent annual storage Fee: $125
- Pre-paid storage plan: Enrollment, courier, processing and 20 years storage: $2490