AboutParent bank: Future Health Biobank
Future Health was the UK's first fully accredited private Human Tissue Bank and is licensed to transport biological samples around the world and to store cells and tissues for use by either the donor, the donor's family, or an unrelated person. Future Health serves multiple nations and their website is available in multiple languages.
Future Health was founded in 2002 following 3 years of international research. As of Oct. 2013, they have processed over 75,000 cord blood & cord tissue samples as well as other types of human tissues and cells.and cord tissue samples.
Purpose designed cord blood collection bag, which already contains the correct volume of anti-coagulant (CPD) for cord blood, packed in individual aluminium sterile packaging with two needles for increased safety. Needles have optimal diameter to maximize the volume of blood collected. Future Health provides its clients with a purpose built collection kit for cord tissue that was designed by Future Health. The kit contains a preservation tablet and a new improved transportation solution, which will control any potential contamination from the birthing process and maintain the tissue in its optimum state. Both collection kits are sterile and are also suitable for C-Section use.
The cord blood and the cord tissue are transported in a thermally insulated shipping box designed by Future Health that is fully accredited by International Air Transport Association (IATA) for protection against adverse temperature and shipping conditions. It also bears the UN3373 label. What's more, the kits are carried by couriers, approved for medical samples. The proprietary transportation box was designed by Future Health and built especially for them. The transportation system was fully tested and accredited by an authorized external testing facility. Accreditation number: P1 650 Conform DHL / IBE G-07.004. The container includes gel packs and a temperature data logger to monitor shipping conditions.
Future Health's base price includes shipping at no extra cost to the client even during holidays; samples are transported by approved medical couriers.
Future Health processes cord blood in a designated purpose-built area of their laboratory called a "clean room" to ensure maximum sterility of the sample and prevent contamination. Future Health uses state of the art automated processing systems. The processing kit is a single-use kit to prevent contamination and ensure sterility of the sample. The kit is designed specifically for the separation of the stem cell fraction from the remainder of the cord blood via a "volume reduction" method. Samples from all components of the cord blood (plasma, red blood cells, white blood cells and stem cells) are kept as part of the stored samples. This enables the use of all these components in the future.
The Future Health in-house microbiology lab conducts detailed microbiological and qualitative testing of the cord blood sample, including stem cell counts and viability. Maternal blood tests at birth are carried out using Serology and Nucleic Acid Testing (NAT – PCR). Parents are provided with a certificate of results which includes notification of the storage period. This includes maternal blood test results and the number of viable leukocytes (CD45+) and Stem Cell (CD34+) count, as well as a certificate of storage. So, you can rest assured that you have the most accurate sample results.
Future Health separates the "buffy coat" fraction of the cord blood that contains the stem cells using the industry standard method of "volume reduction", so that they may be retrieved separately and used directly for transplantation. This is the method that is adopted by the vast majority of private and public banks and it is the industry gold standard.
In addition, Future Health also stores samples of plasma and the mononuclear cell fraction from the cord blood. These samples may be used for future testing, diagnostic purposes, tissue typing (histocompatibility testing) or any other future medical or diagnostic application, without disturbing the main sample.
• - Final stem cell storage is in a cryobag with multiple compartments plus additional test sample segments. The multiple compartments allow for multiple use of the sample. Each compartment is identified by a bar coded cryolabel.
• - Before being placed in the freezer tanks, the cryobags are placed within a secondary protective overwrap bag, which is designed to prevent any cross-contamination between samples.
• - Each cord blood sample is placed in a metal canister for enhanced mechanical protection and efficient heat transfer. The canister also has a metallic bar coded identification labels.
• - The freezer tanks are filled with the vapour phase of cryogenic nitrogen, another protection against cross contamination of blood samples.
• - The freezer tanks are capable of operating without electricity and there is 24/7 recording of storage condition parameters.
• - The cord blood and tissue cells are stored in separate freezer tanks, in different storage locations. This is partly a security measure and partly a recognition that they may have separate medical indications for use.
Licensing & Accreditation
Future Health Biobank operates 2 separate laboratories, one in the UK and one in Switzerland.
Future Health Biobank is the UK's first fully accredited private Human Tissue Bank. It holds a full license from the Human Tissue Authority (HTA) (22503), a Blood Establishment Authorisation (BEA 21314) from the Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and an International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO9001:2008) quality management certification for its processes and systems. Parents can rest assured that the service and facilities meet the highest standards. They have also recently been awarded the prestigious Queens Award for Enterprise for International Trade. Future Health was also the first UK Human Tissue Bank to offer a service to collect and store cord tissue as well as cord blood.
The new Future Health laboratory in Switzerland has a Swissmedic GMP license that follows Netcord/FACT guidelines to process and store umbilical cord blood and tissue for both autologous and allogeneic applications.
Future Health participates in a number of research projects in association with Universities that are related to stem cells from cord blood, cord tissue, dental pulp and adipose tissue. The projects range from improvements in processing and testing methods to the transformation of a stem cell into a specialised cell type.
1. If the cord blood fails quality control, there is no charge for processing.
2. The laboratories are protected by 24/7 security systems and security personnel on site.
3. In case of a "catastrophic" event, Future Health has a disaster recovery plan in place which allows all of their cryopreservation tanks to be relocated to another licensed facility until theirs is back to normal.
4. Having two different laboratories in separate strategic countries means twice the security for client's cord blood.
• - Free advertising and promotion of public banks.
• - Free banking is given to families where an immediate relative has a diagnosis for which transplantation is standard therapy.
• - Discounts to medical doctors.
• - Discounts for twins.
• - Discounts for repeat clients.
Prices are different for each country so please contact Future Health to get the latest price information and special offers.
Future Health also offers additional cell banking services, including the collection and storage of dental pulp stem cells from milk and adult teeth, and adipose tissue mesenchymal stem cell storage.
• - Future Health was the first (March 2010) UK Human Tissue Bank to offer collection of cord tissue.
• - Future Health is the only company that provides clients with a unique purpose built collection kit for cord tissue. The kit contains a preservation tablet and a new improved transportation solution, which will control any potential contamination from the birthing process and maintain the tissue in its optimum state.
• - Future Health stores cord blood and cord tissue stem cells in different tanks, in different storage locations. This is partly a security measure and partly a recognition that they may have separate medical indications for use.
• - Future Health participates in collaborations with leading research groups to ensure optimal product quality.
• Future Health cryopreserves sections of cord tissue. Storing the umbilical cord tissue is the safest and most reliable way to store the relevant MSCs. Future Health is also able to extract and expand MSCs from cord tissue.