You are here
Family Bank: FamilyCord
FamilyCord is a subsidiary of California Cryobank, one of the nation's leading sperm banks and a provider of cryogenic services for over 35 years.
Labs and Locations
FamilyCord's dedicated cord blood laboratory is separate from the laboratory of their parent company California Crybobank, and is located at their headquarters in Los Angeles. In 2011, FamilyCord launched CordTissuePLUS, the additional service of banking cord tissue.
FamilyCord – Los Angeles
11915 La Grange Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90025
FamilyCord has been providing stem cell services for 15 years and has an "A+" rating with the Better Business Bureau. FamilyCord is operated by nationally renowned physicians, including a stem cell transplant physician. The company is guided by world-class scientific expertise and medical ethics in everything they do. FamilyCord has extensive experience in clinical laboratory management, cord blood banking, and frozen tissue storage.
The parent company of FamilyCord, California Cryobank Inc., was founded in 1977 by two physicians, Dr. Cappy Rothman and Dr. Charles Sims. With the development of medical therapies based on cord blood stem cells, California Cryobank opened the Stem Cell Services division in 1997 and became the first private cord blood bank in California. The stem cell laboratory has always been completely separate from the reproductive tissue business.
In 2005, the business changed its name to Family Cord Blood Services. The lab moved less than a mile from Santa Monica to a larger, state-of-the-art facility in Los Angeles. In 2009, the name was shortened to "FamilyCord" and the logo redesigned.
August 2014, the founders of FamilyCord recapitalized their business via a corporate acquisition by equity investors Longitude Venture Partners II, L.P. ("Longitude") and NovaQuest Pharma Opportunities Fund III, L.P. ("NovaQuest"). The managers and operations of FamilyCord and California Cryobank will remain the same.
Superior Collection Kit: FamilyCord features a patented state-of-the-art collection kit to provide maximum stem cell protection.
- Temperature stabilizers provide 10 hours of protection against severe heat and cold - most kits offer only 30 minutes of temperature protection.
- Reinforced case and protective inner tubes provide the ultimate protection against breakage.
- FDA-approved blood collection bag included in our OSHA-compliant kit.
FamilyCord utilizes Fenwal (previously known as Baxter) or the sterile Pall gravity flow collection blood bags. Also, as recommended by the FDA, FamilyCord collection bags utilize liquid Citric Phosphate Dextrose (CPD) anticoagulant. They have never used any form of heparin. The kit includes iodine swabs for disinfection and offers a sterile C-section extension set when utilizing Fenwal bags.
- FamilyCord kit includes an inner container specially designed with patented materials and gel packs to provide maximum thermal insulation.
- Kit is validated to maintain room temperature under ISTA test conditions.
- Container is guaranteed to maintain room temperature for 10 hours.
- Temperature monitoring device is used during outbound shipment for released samples.
- Shipping is handled by FamilyCord's contracted Professional Medical Courier (all parents have to do is call them).
- Contract price includes shipping by Professional Medical Courier within the United States.
- The courier is available on weekends and holidays.
- Non-US shipments may incur additional shipping fee.
- Proprietary red-cell depletion plasma reduction method.
- FamilyCord processing results for TNC and CD34+ compare favorably with published cord blood data.
- Our laboratory staff individually process each cord blood unit.
- FamilyCord achieves an average of 3.8 million CD34+ cells from family collecions.
- • FamilyCord provides cord blood certificate describing test results (cell counts, viability).
- • CordTissuePLUS includes a photo certificate that contains a photo of expanded MSC (Mesenchymal Stem Cells).
- • Storage: Buffy coat containing white cells and stem cells, plus three (3) attached segments.
- • Maternal blood is collected, tested, and an aliquot is stored for future testing.
- FamilyCord final storage is in dual compartment blood bags.
- Storage technology includes heat-sealed over-wrap of the blood bag.
- Temporary quarantine storage in vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen, the units are later moved to long-term storage:
- Long-term storage is in liquid nitrogen (99%); some units may require long-term vapor storage (1%).
- FamilyCord never uses the BioArchive freezer due to its track record of retrieval and mechanical arm "freeze-up" issues.
Licensing & Accreditation
FamilyCord laboratory holds these certifications:
- Registered by the United States FDA
- Accredited by AABB
- Certified by CLIA
- Additional state licenses for operation in CA, MD, NJ, NY
FamilyCord is operated by nationally renowned physicians, including a stem cell transplant physician. They are guided by world-class scientific expertise and medical ethics in everything they do. FamilyCord has extensive experience in clinical laboratory management, cord blood banking, and frozen tissue storage.
- Over 100 transplants of stem cells have been released for clinical use.
- FamilyCord participates in clinical trials that study the use of cord blood for medical treatment.
In the event a unit is released for transplantation, unused storage payments will be refunded to the client.
- Free processing and storage for families where an immediate relative has a diagnosis for which stem cell therapies are being utilized
- Discounts for Military Personnel
- Discounts for First Responders (EMT, Policemen, Firemen)
- Discounts for Healthcare Professionals
- Discounts for Students
- Public Donation Option no longer available due to new regulations for public storage.
FamilyCord CordBlood Service:
Enrollment $ 50
Professional Medical Courier fee $ 170
One-time Collection & Processing fee $1330
Annual Storage 1-Year $ 150
5-Year CB Prepaid ($75 discount) $ 675
15-Year CB Prepaid ($450 discount) $1800
25-Year CB Prepaid ($1250 discount) $2500
30-Year CB Prepaid ($1500 discount) $3000
Payment plans have low upfront fee, no interest charges, and can be used in combination with promotions/discounts.
Cord tissue can be added to any cord blood package.
- Cord blood HLA testing for an additional $250
- Additional storage options for large collections: split sample at no cost and pay for storage on each unit.
- Processing and Storage of umbilical cord tissue, called CordTissuePLUS, provides storage of expanded MSC (Mesenchymal Stem Cells).
Prices with Additional Services
FamilyCord offers cord tissue processing with cord blood for an additional $625 to cover processing and an additional $150 storage fee for the stem cells from the tissue. The price of CordTissuePLUS collection and processing alone would be $1250, hence combining it with CordBlood is a savings of $625.
CordBlood and CordTissuePLUS:
Enrollment $ 150
Professional Medical Courier fee $ 170
One-time Collection & Processing fee $1955
Annual Storage 1-Year $ 300
5-Year CB+T Prepaid ($150 discount) $1350
15-Year CB+T Prepaid ($900 discount) $3600
25-Year CB+T Prepaid ($2500 discount) $5000
30-Year CB+T Prepaid ($3000 discount) $6000
Payment plans are available for CordBlood and CordTissuePLUS.