World map of family banks
- Will my delivery hospital allow me to use any family bank?
In the US, the answer to this question is almost always YES. However... a handful of hospitals have signed exclusive contracts requiring their patients to use certain family banks, so it is best to check in advance.
Those hospitals who have made exclusive partnerships will argue that it improves their level of care, because their staff train with and stock the collection kits for the banks they have approved. The hospital probably has a financial incentive too. However, for parents it means a lack of consumer choice.
- Recommendations from Parent's Guide to Cord Blood
- Educate expectant parents about all their options for cord blood (Education)
- Choose a family bank that meets all your national and local regulations, plus has been inspected by an accreditation agency (Lab Standards)
- Choose a family bank that uses a specialized courier to transport cord blood (Find a Family Bank), or in some countries the family can hire a specialized courier directly (Shipping & Handling).
- What is the role of the Parent's Guide to Cord Blood Advisory Panel?
- Our panel of scientific and medical experts reviews and approves our educational brochures. Each member may assist with development of new web content in his or her area of expertise. The panel is also on-call to answer difficult questions from readers.