Louisiana has state legislation around cord blood education that follows the Institute of Medicine guidelines and mandates/encourages physicians to educate expectant parents about ALL forms of cord blood banking. The Louisiana bill was enacted 12 June 2008 and became effective 15 Aug. 2008.
- How is the website of the Parent's Guide to Cord Blood unique?
- Only searchable map of US donation locations.
- Only worldwide directory of private/family cord blood banks that is actively maintained.
- Only website offering a Compare Banks tool that is not a marketing feature of one of the Banks.
- Only list of "diseases treated" that differentiates between standard vs. experimental therapy, and whether the treatment uses stem cells from the patient vs. a donor.
- Only cord blood web site that is accredited by Health on the Net (HON) standards for accuracy and ethics.
- What questions should parents ask a Family Bank about collecting cord blood?
- What instructional tools are provided for the physician and delivery staff?
- Will the cord blood company actively contact the labor and delivery staff for you -- or are parents responsible for keeping them informed and coordinated?
- What collection method do they use: gravity drip or blood draw?
- Is the collection blood bag sterile, both inside and out, so that it can be used in the operating room for a C-section?
- Do they provide the option of collecting additional stem cells from the placenta or tissue of the umbilical cord?
- What questions should parents ask a Family Bank about Company Stability?
- Is the family cord blood bank a publicly-held or privately-held company?
- Is the company affiliated with a hospital or research institution?
- Is the company involved in bio-technology research and development?
- What other medical services does the company perform?
- How long has the company been banking cord blood?
- Who directs the day-to-day business of the company? Many cord blood banks have famous doctors on their Board of Directors; but they are not involved with the day-to-day operations.
- What is the lab inventory of cord blood collections, both public and private? This speaks to their staff's experience with storing cord blood.
- How many cord blood collections has the bank released from their own lab for therapy? This speaks to their staff's experience with releasing cord blood.