New Mexico has state legislation around cord blood education that only mandates/encourages physicians to educate expectant parents about public donation of cord blood. The New Mexico bill was enacted 19 Mar. 2005 and became effective 1 Jan. 2006.
- How is the website of the Parent's Guide to Cord Blood unique?
- Only searchable map of US donation locations.
- Only worldwide directory of private/family cord blood banks that is actively maintained.
- Only website offering a Compare Banks tool that is not a marketing feature of one of the Banks.
- Only list of "diseases treated" that differentiates between standard vs. experimental therapy, and whether the treatment uses stem cells from the patient vs. a donor.
- Only cord blood web site that is accredited by Health on the Net (HON) standards for accuracy and ethics.
- Will my delivery hospital allow me to use any family bank?
In the US, the answer to this question is almost always YES. However... a handful of hospitals have signed exclusive contracts requiring their patients to use certain family banks, so it is best to check in advance.
Those hospitals who have made exclusive partnerships will argue that it improves their level of care, because their staff train with and stock the collection kits for the banks they have approved. The hospital probably has a financial incentive too. However, for parents it means a lack of consumer choice.
- What questions should parents ask a Family Bank about the Storage Facility?
- What type of records do parents receive after storage?
- Does your contract state that the storage fee is fixed, or may it increase later?
- Does the bank reserve the right, in your contract, to change storage facilities?
- Does the bank operate their own storage facility, or is it provided by another laboratory?
- What type of accreditation or other certifications does the storage facility carry? In most banks the cord blood is stored in the lab where it was processed, and the accreditation of the lab covers the storage conditions.
- What is the geographic location of the storage facility: Is it at risk for hurricanes, earthquakes, or other natural disasters?
- What type of back-up systems does the storage facility have in case of power failure?
- What type of security systems does the storage facility have?