Find regulations by country or state
, Czech Republic
Cord blood banks must be licensed by the State Institute of Drug Control.
- What fraction of cord blood donations get accepted?
Between a half and three quarters of donations are discarded. The primary reason is that the collection volume is too small. Public banks will only save a collection that is big enough to transplant a large child or small adult.
- Do I need to store the cord blood in the country where I plan to use it?
No. First, you must store blood in a lab that is permitted by the regulations of the country where you will give birth. Second, you should store cord blood in a lab that can receive and process the collection within 48 hours of birth. After cord blood is collected at birth, the stem cells start to die while the blood is waiting to be processed and frozen. The quicker it gets to the lab the better. By comparison, if you ever need the cord blood for therapy, it will be shipped in a vessel that keeps it frozen. When cord blood is released for therapy can travel to the other side of the world with no loss of viability, because it travels frozen. It is only thawed at the clinic where it will be used.
- What questions should parents ask a Family Bank about the Storage Facility?
- What type of records do parents receive after storage?
- Does your contract state that the storage fee is fixed, or may it increase later?
- Does the bank reserve the right, in your contract, to change storage facilities?
- Does the bank operate their own storage facility, or is it provided by another laboratory?
- What type of accreditation or other certifications does the storage facility carry? In most banks the cord blood is stored in the lab where it was processed, and the accreditation of the lab covers the storage conditions.
- What is the geographic location of the storage facility: Is it at risk for hurricanes, earthquakes, or other natural disasters?
- What type of back-up systems does the storage facility have in case of power failure?
- What type of security systems does the storage facility have?