Find regulations by country or state
, Czech Republic
Cord blood banks must be licensed by the State Institute of Drug Control.
- Once we have stored cord blood for our family, how long should we keep it?
- Indefinitely. From an economic perspective, it does not make sense to invest in the up-front processing fee and pay for years of annual storage, and then throw out the investment. That would be like buying life insurance and then cancelling it because you have not died yet. Especially given that the probability of some one in the immediate family needing a transplant increases with age. Even if the cord blood collection was small, and the child becomes too large to use it for a transplant, it could still be enough cells for a regenerative medicine therapy. The science of cryobiology tells us that cells which are cryogenically preserved remain viable for decades. It has been confirmed that cord blood stem cells were still viable after being frozen 23+ years.
Broxmeyer, H.E. Cell Stem Cell 2010; 6(1):21-24
Mazur, P. Science 1970; 168(3934):939-949
Nietfeld, J.J. et al. BBMT 2008; 14:316-322
- What fraction of cord blood donations get accepted?
Between a half and three quarters of donations are discarded. The primary reason is that the collection volume is too small. Public banks will only save a collection that is big enough to transplant a large child or small adult.
- If I donate my baby's cord blood, will that child have free access to cord blood for a transplant?
- No. When a mother signs the Informed Consent to donate cord blood, she gives up any guaranteed access to that blood. The blood may not be banked, and if it is banked, it may be released to some one else. There have been cases where families needed their child's cord blood and got it back from a public bank, but it is important to realize there are no guarantees of access to donated cord blood. Cord blood donors also do not receive guarantees of priority treatment or waived fees if your child later needs a donor. The reward for donating cord blood is the possibility that your baby may Be The Match that saves a life.