Find regulations by country or state
, ChinaRead more >>
- What questions should parents ask a Family Bank about Company Stability?
- Is the family cord blood bank a publicly-held or privately-held company?
- Is the company affiliated with a hospital or research institution?
- Is the company involved in bio-technology research and development?
- What other medical services does the company perform?
- How long has the company been banking cord blood?
- Who directs the day-to-day business of the company? Many cord blood banks have famous doctors on their Board of Directors; but they are not involved with the day-to-day operations.
- What is the lab inventory of cord blood collections, both public and private? This speaks to their staff's experience with storing cord blood.
- How many cord blood collections has the bank released from their own lab for therapy? This speaks to their staff's experience with releasing cord blood.
- What are the most important things to do when collecting cord blood?
1. Read the instructions on the kit! Too many healthcare providers think that they don't need to read and follow instructions.
2. Sterilize before every needle stick. When in doubt, sterilize again!
3. Volume, volume, volume. You want to "milk the cord" for as much blood as possible. If the blood vessel you are using stops working, try another or move upstream, but sterilize first.
- What questions should parents ask a Family Bank about the Storage Facility?
- What type of records do parents receive after storage?
- Does your contract state that the storage fee is fixed, or may it increase later?
- Does the bank reserve the right, in your contract, to change storage facilities?
- Does the bank operate their own storage facility, or is it provided by another laboratory?
- What type of accreditation or other certifications does the storage facility carry? In most banks the cord blood is stored in the lab where it was processed, and the accreditation of the lab covers the storage conditions.
- What is the geographic location of the storage facility: Is it at risk for hurricanes, earthquakes, or other natural disasters?
- What type of back-up systems does the storage facility have in case of power failure?
- What type of security systems does the storage facility have?