Find regulations by country or state
Canada has had a public network accepting cord blood donations in Quebec since 2004 and is expanding to cover the nation in 2013.Read more >>
- What is the role of the Parent's Guide to Cord Blood Advisory Panel?
- Our panel of scientific and medical experts reviews and approves our educational brochures. Each member may assist with development of new web content in his or her area of expertise. The panel is also on-call to answer difficult questions from readers.
- How do I pick a public bank?
- You rarely get to pick a public bank. If you are having your baby at a hospital that accepts donations, then you are one of the lucky few. The only way you could have a choice in the matter is if you are choosing a mail in donation program.
- What questions should parents ask a Family Bank about Laboratory Standards?
- Is the cord blood laboratory accredited by an agency that has specific standards for cord blood banks and conducts inspections? (ex: AABB, FACT, ISO)
- Some US states license cord blood banks (CA, MD, NJ, NY): Do they operate in those states? Note that the California Biologics License is based on AABB accreditation, but lags behind the latest AABB updates.
- Does the lab process cord blood around the clock, or only on selected shifts?
- What tests does the lab perform on maternal blood?
- What tests does the lab perform for infectious disease markers?
- What tests does the lab perform for contamination?
- Does the lab ever reject cord blood collections on the basis of the tests of maternal blood, infectious diseases, or contamination?
- Does the lab maintain a "quarantine tank" for the storage of blood that might be able to transmit an infection?
- What tests does the lab perform to measure the stem cell count of the processed cord blood and the stem cell viability?
- Does the lab/bank inform parents, prior to storage, if the collection is too small for a transplant, and give them the option not to save it?
- Does the lab/bank offer parents a refund if the cord blood collection has certain problems (contamination, low volume)? These refunds are typically only offered if the bank performed the collection as part of their service.
- What information will parents receive in the final report about their stored cord blood?