Find regulations by country or state
- What is the allowed time window for shipping cord blood to the lab?
- Public cord blood banks throughout the world have adopted a time window of 48 hours as the maximum delay from birth to the initiation of lab processing. It would be a "best practice" if family banks also followed the 48 hour window.
Some data points:
- FACT accreditation standards require the 48 hour window for public donations but allow 72 hours for family banks.
- AABB accreditation standards do not specify a time window.
- The US FDA recommends the 48 hour window.
- The US state of NY Dept. of Health requires a 48 hour window.
- If I banked privately for one child, do I need to do it for additional children?
All the reasons that you banked for the first child are still valid for additional children.
1. If you want the baby to have the option of using his/her own cells, then you need to bank them.
2. If you are banking to cover siblings, then the ability to use cord blood from one child for another depends on whether they have matching HLA type. Two full siblings have a 25% chance of being a perfect match, a 50% chance of being a half match, and a 25% chance of not matching at all. For a cord blood transplant, donor and patient must match at 4 out of 6 (67%) HLA types. The more siblings with banked cord blood, the more chance that they cover each other for possible transplants or other therapies for which sibling stem cells are accepted.
Odds of sibling match are based on haplotype inheritence: that the child will receive 3 HLA types as a group from each parent.
- Do I need to store the cord blood in the country where I plan to use it?
No. First, you must store blood in a lab that is permitted by the regulations of the country where you will give birth. Second, you should store cord blood in a lab that can receive and process the collection within 48 hours of birth. After cord blood is collected at birth, the stem cells start to die while the blood is waiting to be processed and frozen. The quicker it gets to the lab the better. By comparison, if you ever need the cord blood for therapy, it will be shipped in a vessel that keeps it frozen. When cord blood is released for therapy can travel to the other side of the world with no loss of viability, because it travels frozen. It is only thawed at the clinic where it will be used.