MD Anderson Cord Blood Bank
AboutM.D. Anderson Cord Blood Bank accepts MAIL-IN DONATIONS. Expectant mothers must register by the 34th week of pregnancy and pass a health screening.
M.D. Anderson Cord Blood Bank accepts MAIL-IN DONATIONS. The program has been profiled in TIME magazine. Expectant mothers must register by the 34th week of pregnancy and pass a health screening. Mothers who are accepted into the program receive a collection kit to bring to the hospital. The mother's caregiver is required to watch a 10 minute training video about cord blood collection procedures.
M.D. Anderson hospital has the largest stem cell transplantation program in the world, and in April 2005 they established a public cord blood bank. The bank director is Elizabeth Shpall, MD. They are accredited under the international FACT/Netcord standards.
Collecting hospitals as of March 2013:
- Ben Taub General Hospital, Houston, TX
- Memorial Herman Southwest, Houston, TX
- St. Joseph Medical Center, Houston, TX
- The Woman's Hospital of Texas, Houston, TX
- Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford, Palo Alto, CA
- St. John Providence Hospital and Medical Center, Detroit, MI
Collection sites at hospitals in California are funded by the California Umbilical Cord Blood Collection Program (UCBCP).