What questions should parents ask a Family Bank about collecting cord blood?
- What instructional tools are provided for the physician and delivery staff?
- Will the cord blood company actively contact the labor and delivery staff for you -- or are parents responsible for keeping them informed and coordinated?
- What collection method do they use: gravity drip or blood draw?
- Is the collection blood bag sterile, both inside and out, so that it can be used in the operating room for a C-section?
- Do they provide the option of collecting additional stem cells from the placenta or tissue of the umbilical cord?