You are here
Family Bank: Institute of Cell Therapy
Institute of Cell Therapy is a leader in the collection and storage of umbilical cord blood in Ukraine. Our cryobank is modern, highly-technological and the largest complex in Ukraine, with more than 500 square meters of area including laboratories for the cell separation, clinical diagnostics and laboratory of molecular studies (PCR), cryo-conservation and the scientific division.
Labs and Locations
The institute of cell therapy owns a clinical diagnostics and laboratory of molecular biology (PCR) at their headquarters in Kyiv, Ukraine.
The Institute of Cell Therapy cord blood bank was established in the year 2004 in Kyiv as the first in family bank in Ukraine. Now we are the biggest bank in Ukraine and the only one which has their own clinic for stem cell treatment.
The collection kit is sent to the hospital two weeks ahead of the baby's expected date of birth.
The shipping container is guaranteed to maintain temperature for a certain number of hours, to permit a safe arrival at the lab.
Shipping is included in the base price within the home country, costs extra from outside. Employees of the bank pick up the blood from selected hospitals any day of the week.
The processing method is manual cell separation by sedimentation & spin.
Parents are provided with a certificate describing test results (volume, cell counts, viability).
Final storage is in blood bags or vials (client chooses). Temporary storage in a quarantine freezer, then move to long term freezer. The freezer uses the vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen.
Licensing & Accreditation
Licensed by Ministry of Health of Ukraine. Institute of Cell Therapy since 2013 is accredited according to ISO 9001:2008.
- Institute of Cell Therapy participates in clinical trials using cord blood in cooperation with the Ministry of Health.
- Institute of Cell Therapy has received official approvals from the Ministry of Health for their therapies of Critical Limb Ischemia and Pancreonecrosis, each following 5 years of clinical trial experience.
- Institute of Cell Therapy currently is conducting clinical trials treating Type 2 Diabetes, Liver Cirrhosis, Hepatitis B&C, and Cardiomyopathy. Over 200 donated cord blood units have been used in clinical trials at the Institute of Cell Therapy.
- Additional diagnoses may be treated on an experimental basis.
- From the private storage for family banking clients with Institute of Cell Therapy, 5 cord blood units have been released for the treatment of: Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, Ankylosing Spodyloathritis, Viral Hepatitis, and one unit was used autologously in cardiac surgery for an infant born with a heart defect.
- An additional 10 clients of the Institute of Cell Therapy are using privately banked cord blood for a periodic boost of the immune system (delivered intranasally).
Guarantees and the amount of compensation are prescribed in the client contract.
Institute of Cell Therapy provides free banking to children with congenital abnormalities, and to families where an immediate relative has a diagnosis for which transplantation is standard therapy. Discounts are given to repeat customers, medical doctors, and customers in early pregnancy (up to 15%).
The cost of collecting, processing, analysis and 1st storage fee of umbilical cord blood - $ 740.
The cost of one year storage - $ 150
Discounts for pre-paid annual storage:
for 5 years – 15%;
for 10 years – 30%;
for 20 years – 45%.
Storage of stem cells from the placenta is also available.
Prices with Additional Services
Institute of Cell Therapy offers placenta banked with cord blood for additional $350 processing, no change in storage fee.