The Woman's Hospital of Texas
Expectant mothers who wish to donate must register by the 34th week of pregnancy and pass a health screening. Mothers who are accepted into the program receive a collection kit to bring to the hospital. The mother's caregiver is required to watch a 10 minute training video about cord blood collection procedures.
M.D. Anderson hospital has the largest stem cell transplantation program in the world, and in April 2005 they established a public cord blood bank. The bank director is Elizabeth Shpall, MD. They are accredited under the international FACT/Netcord standards.
Collecting hospitals as of August 2014:
- Ben Taub General Hospital, Houston, TX
- Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital, Houston, TX
- Memorial Hermann Southwest, Houston, TX
- St. Joseph Medical Center, Houston, TX
- The Woman's Hospital of Texas, Houston, TX
Collection sites that were previously operated at hospitals in California were funded by the California Umbilical Cord Blood Collection Program (UCBCP) and operated in partnership with the Joanne Pang Foundation.