Baptist Medical Center East
LifeCord, located in Gainesville FL, was established in 1997 and since then has collected more than 38,000 cord blood units and listed more than 5,800 of them for public use and sent units for transplant to 28 states and 13 countries. LifeCord belongs to the cohort of banks funded by HRSA to collect racially diverse donations for the national cord blood inventory.
The medical director of LifeCord is John R. Wingard, M.D., director of the Bone Marrow Transplant Program at UF Health. The management director of LifeCord is Yesi Sevilla. LifeCord uses the state of the art, fully automated Sepax processing system from Biosafe. The Sepax processing kit is a sterile, single-use, functionally closed system, so that the cord blood never comes into contact with the external environment.
As of Bovember 2014, collections are accepted from:
- North Florida Regional Medical Center, Gainesville FL
- UF Health (formerly known as Shands), Gainesville FL
- Baptist Medical Center East, Montgomery, AL
- Baptist Medical Center South, Montgomery, AL
- Jackson Hospital, Montgomery, AL
- East Alabama Medical Center, Opelika, AL
- Brookwood Medical Center, Birmingham, AL
- Northeast Georgia Medical Center, Gainesville, GA
- Piedmont Henry Hospital, Stockbridge, GA
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL (coming soon)