UF Health (formerly known as Shands)
LifeCord, located in Gainesville FL, was established in 1997 and since then has collected more than 34,000 cord blood units and banked more than 5,000 of them. LifeCord belongs to the cohort of banks funded by HRSA to collect racially diverse donations for the national cord blood inventory.
The medical director of LifeCord is John R. Wingard, M.D., director of the Bone Marrow Transplant Program at UF Helath. LifeCord uses the state of the art, fully automated Sepax processing system from Biosafe. The Sepax processing kit is a sterile, single-use, functionally closed system, so that the cord blood never comes into contact with the external environment.
As of August 2014, collections are accepted from:
- North Florida Regional Medical Center, Gainesville FL
- UF Health (formerly known as Shands), Gainesville FL
- Baptist East Hospital, Montgomery, AL
- Baptist South Hospital, Montgomery, AL
- Jackson Hospital, Montgomery, AL
- East Alabama Medical Center, Opelika, AL
- Brookwood Medical Center, Birmingham, AL
- Northeast Georgia Medical Center, Gainesville, GA
- Piedmont Henry Hospital, Stockbridge, GA