AboutParent bank: GeneCell
This is the Dominican Republic affiliate of GeneCell International in Miami USA.
GeneCell International is sister company of a group of laboratories that has been processing and storing stem cells for more than a decade. The laboratories include Genetics and Cord Blood Services, Celulas Madre C.A., and Laboratorio Venezolano de Celulas Madre, C.A (LVCM) in Venezuela. To date the laboratories have processed and stored over 30 thousand cord blood units. GeneCell International is the first and currently the only laboratory in the United States that provides cord blood, cord tissue, dental pulp and adipose tissue stem cell services. It operates a state-of-the-art laboratory and storage facility for thousands of clients who have placed their trust in GeneCell for handling their adult stem cells from various sources which have the potential for treating a variety of diseases and disorders. The laboratory’s purpose is to provide its clients with the best customer service experience, the highest quality stem cell products and services, as well as unparalleled scientific excellence and innovative leadership in the areas of stem cell collection, processing, research and cryopreservation. GeneCell International and its subsidiaries are committed to the educational growth of its stem cell portfolio which will guarantee greater levels of awareness and expansions nationally and into other countries. Beside its commitment to educating the public on the benefits of adult stem cells, the laboratory is always on the forefront in providing clients with information on current and future potentials for the use of stem cells in medical treatments. GeneCell also maintains collaborative relationships with experts in the field of adult stem cell research.
GeneCell International relies on gravity drip into a blood bag for the collection procedure. GeneCell utilizes the 250 mL Baxter/Fenwal blood bag that already contains 35 mL of the anti-coagulant CPD. A sterile extension is provided for use during a C-section. GeneCell has a proprietary collection kit that contains all components that the procurement physician will need. The components to collect the required maternal blood include vacutainer blood collection tubes, needles and holders. Instructions are provided for collection and shipping of both cord blood and cord tissue.
GeneCell International’s kits are insulated for the protection of the cord blood and all other tissues during the shipping process. The kits have been validated under test conditions and are guaranteed to maintain room temperature until the kit reaches its destination within a period of 72 hours. Temperature data loggers are periodically used during our validation process.
Shipping arrangements are simple. The cord blood collection kit includes pre-filled and addressed documents, including the air bill. Clients generally call our facility to inform us of the birth, and then call the shipper. We are staffed to provide services during weekends and holidays as long as the shipping company delivers during these days.
- Shipping within a 50 mile radius of our facility is FREE.
- Within the Miami-Dade/Broward area we have FREE courier services to pick up the cord blood from the hospital.
- All other shipping is an additional $50.00 Fee.
- For shipments within the United States, we use FedEx.
- For international shipments, we use FedEx, DHL and UPS.
GeneCell International manually processes it units via a volume reduction method (in a closed system) that is essentially the same as the method pioneered by Dr. Pablo Rubinstein at the NY Blood Center.
Gene Cell stores the "buffy coat" component of the blood that contains white blood cells, stem cells, a reduced volume of plasma and a reduced volume of red blood cells. They are stored in a 25 mL Pall blood bag.Parents are provided a Lab Report that contains the following: • Unique ID • Date of processing • Pre-processing volume and TNC • Post-processing viability (7AAD), TNC, and CD34
All GeneCell cord blood units are stored in the Pall freezing bag. This is a two chamber bag (20ml and 5ml compartments) which also contains 2 integrally attached segments that can be utilized for HLA testing prior to release of the umbilical cord blood unit. Each Pall bag is encased in a vacuum-sealed Teflon overwrap for additional protection as a barrier to the outside environment. All samples are stored in the liquid phase of cryogenic nitrogen to ensure there are no thermal transitions upon opening and closing of the cryogenic tank, which may be a potential risk for those cord blood units stored only in the vapor phase. Too many thermal transitions may result in a lower viability cord blood cell therapy product.
Licensing & Accreditation
• Registered with the FDA • Licensed by the Florida Department of Health • Members of the International Society for Cellular Therapy • Accredited by the Better Business Bureau • In the process of applying for AABB Accreditation
GeneCell and its sister laboratories have together processed and stored over 30 thousand cord blood units.
Reimbursement to physician for collection of client's cord blood up to $275.
GeneCell offers $300 discounts to military personnel and health care providers.
• No late enrollment fees. • 6, 12, 18 and 24 month interest free payment plans are available. • Discount for twins, triplets, and secondary pregnancies/repeat clients. • Discounts to our clients for family and friend referrals. • Discounts for prepaid storage of 5, 10 and 20 years, friend/client referralsCORD BLOOD PLANS: 1 Year Plan: Enrollment, collection kit ($300.00 non-refundable), cord blood processing, cord blood testing, maternal blood testing and 1st year storage = $1,795.00. 5 Year Plan: Enrollment, collection kit ($300.00 non-refundable), cord blood processing, cord blood testing, maternal blood testing and 5 year storage = $2,195.00. 10 Year Plan: Enrollment, collection kit ($300.00 non-refundable), cord blood processing, cord blood testing, maternal blood testing and 10 year storage = $2,695.00. 20 Year Plan: Enrollment, collection kit ($300.00 non-refundable), cord blood processing, cord blood testing, maternal blood testing and 20 year storage = $3,595.00. CORD TISSUE PLANS (Must Coincide with Cord Blood Storage Plans): 1 Year Plan: Enrollment, collection bottle ($200.00 non-refundable), cord tissue processing, cord tissue testing and 1st year storage = $500.00. 5 Year Plan: Enrollment, collection bottle ($200.00 non-refundable), cord tissue processing, cord tissue testing and 5 year storage = $800.00. 10 Year Plan: Enrollment, collection bottle ($200.00 non-refundable), cord tissue processing, cord tissue testing and 10 year storage = $1,300.00. 20 Year Plan: Enrollment, collection bottle ($200.00 non-refundable), cord tissue processing, cord tissue testing and 20 year storage = $1,900.00.
GeneCell International offers: • Newborn genetic/metabolic screening testing • Storage of stem cells from cord tissue, aka Wharton's Jelly • Storage of stem cells from baby teeth • Storage of stem cells from adipose tissue