AboutParent bank: Cryo-Cell
Cryo Cell del Perú S.A. markets the services of Cryo-Cell USA. Contact Lourdes Chuecos.
• From its founding, until today, Cryo-Cell has expanded its expertise all over the world. Cryo-Cell exclusively licensed its technology and service to Europe (2000), Mexico (2001), and India (2004).
• In 2001, Cryo-Cell, in partnership with Dr. Paul Sanberg, the world's preeminent cord blood stem cell scientist, established Saneron CCEL Therapeutics, Inc., to fund research focused on the clinical use of cord blood to treat neurodegenerative diseases, including stroke, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.
• In 2002, Cryo-Cell successfully saved the life of a three year old boy from his battle with T-Cell Lymphoma with stem cells from his brother that were processed and stored at Cryo-Cell. This was Cryo-Cell's first transplant and today the boy is a healthy 15 year old.
• In 2005, Cryo-Cell processed its 100,000th cord blood collection, the industry's first company to reach this milestone.
• In 2011, Cryo-Cell initiated a premium service that cryopreserves cord tissue mesenchymal stem cells that can differentiate into bone, muscle, fat and cartilage tissue.
• In 2013, Cryo-Cell adopted a new, state-of-the-art cord blood processing method, known as PrepaCyte® CB (Cord Blood) Processing System, enabling parents to obtain the industry’s best possible cord blood collection for their babies.
To view Cryo-Cell's complete company timeline, click here.
• Cryo-Cell only uses collection bags that are Heparin-free and instead use the anti-coagulant CPD (Citrate Phosphate Dextrose) that is both FDA and NDA approved (Heparin is not) and is the anti-coagulant recommended to maximize stem cell recovery.1,2
• The Cryo-Cell collection bag is sterile so it can be used during both vaginal births and C-sections.
• Once placed inside the Cryo-Cell collection kit for shipping, the bags are stored in a one-inch thick cooler with 2 gel packs and dual-sensors to indicate if either extreme heat or cold temperature is encountered during transport.
• The Cryo-Cell collection kit can safeguard stem cells approximately 30 times longer than most other kits which are not insulated. This performance was confirmed through multiple cross-continent tests under extreme temperature variations.
• All kits come with a cord tissue receptacle in case parents decide at the last minute to collect cord tissue.
• Cryo-Cell's kit includes 5 maternal blood tubes in accordance with their accreditation under FACT (an internationally recognized, prestigious accrediting organization) for the purpose of having additional samples in a separate freezer which can be accessed for testing without disturbing the principal cord blood unit.
1Recommended in U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. Guidance for Industry: Minimally Manipulated, Unrelated, Allogeneic Placental/Umbilical Cord Blood Intended for Hematopoietic Reconstitution for Specified Indications, published October 2009. It states, "During collection of cord blood, we recommend that you use an appropriate closed, sterile container sealed in a manner that prevents cell loss and contamination. We recommend that you use only citrate-based anticoagulants."
2Publication discussing benefit of CPD as compared to Heparin: Blood (ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts) American Society of Hematology Cord Blood Units Collected with Liquid CPD Appear to Contain Significantly More Nucleated and CD34+ Cells Than Units Collected with Dry Heparin Morey Kraus*, 1, Karen Foster*, 2, Asimena Rigas Bridges*, and 3, Mark C. Walters, MD 4 2009 114: Abstract 4227 http://abstracts. hematologylibrary.org/cgi/content/abstract/114/22/4227
Cryo-Cell's collection kit safeguards stem cells during transportation approximately 30 times longer than other private cord blood banks when exposed to extreme temperatures.
• Shipping arrangements are made by Cryo-Cell through an experienced private medical courier service. The courier service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
• Base cryopreservation prices exclude shipping which is calculated based on the location of the collection.
o $150 for Continental U.S.
o $200 for Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico
• Each collection kit and client is uniquely identified. Upon arrival to the laboratory, Cryo-Cell verifies and scans the kit contents and client information to match the information provided at the time of enrollment.
Cryo-Cell is the first major cord blood bank to embrace a new, superior technology that yields the maximum recovery of healthy stem cells and provides superior red blood cell depletion over all other methods.
In the Cryo-Cell laboratory, only qualified technologists handle specimens, and the specimens are individually processed using PrepaCyte® CB, the most advanced processing technology in the field, to maximize the recovery of stem cells. This method depletes up to 99% of the red blood cells and recovers the highest number of Colony Forming Units (CFU), which are the stem cells that are the best predictor of patient outcomes. Less red blood cells post processing means less toxic side effects.
The final component of blood that is stored is the "buffy coat" containing white cells and stem cells. Both the cord blood and cord tissue are over-wrapped for extra protection against cross contamination during storage. All specimens are stored in the vapor phase of liquid nitrogen for cryogenic preservation, at the constant temperature below -180° Celsius. Cryobags with multiple removable segments are used to facilitate cryopreservation and potential future blood type matching and testing.
Cryo-Cell is currently the only private cord blood bank that takes the following measures, in compliance with the highest international transplant standards, to preserve more future testing samples for its clients:
• Collect and store additional maternal blood
• Store the residual plasma and red blood cells that are routinely discarded by other cord blood banks
These measurements are taken to facilitate possible future transplant needs, as well as in anticipation of possible future developments in medical science. Here is a sample of the growing list of future scenarios that Cryo-Cell's foresight makes possible for families without sacrificing the principal cord blood unit:
• In the event that additional transplant matching criteria (HLA antigens) are established by regulators.
• In the event that new infectious agents are discovered and testing can prevent infectious stem cells from being transplanted to another family member.
• In the event that genetic testing is needed on the mother or the child.
• In the event that the child develops a debilitating disease and it is helpful to know if the disease was present in the mother or the child at birth.
• In case of mis-identification such as hospital errors or questionable lab results, tests can easily be conducted or repeated.
Within weeks of collection, parents are provided with a certificate of ownership. Included in the certificate are the many test and processing results, including the total stem cell counts cryopreserved and safeguarded at Cryo-Cell.
Final storage is in multi-compartment cryo-bags and the bag is encased in overwrap for an extra layer of protection against cross contamination. A technique called "controlled-rate freezing" is used to prepare the cells for long-term storage. The bag is then housed in a protective cassette and placed in a freezer in the vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen. Leading scientist believe cord blood stem cells can be cryogenically stored indefinitely.
Licensing & Accreditation
• FDA registered
• cGMP- and cGTP-compliant
• Licensed in the states of CA, MD, NJ and NY
• AABB accredited
• FACT accredited
• ISO certified
Cryo-Cell International operates in a facility that is FDA registered, cGMP-/cGTP-compliant, and is licensed in all states that require licensure.
Cryo-Cell earned accreditation from AABB, an organization dedicated to the practice and standards of transfusion medicine and cellular therapies to optimize patient and donor care in preparation for and during transplantation.
Cryo-Cell is the first U.S. private cord blood bank to receive accreditation from FACT (Foundation for the Accreditation for Cellular Therapy), for voluntarily adhering to the most stringent cord blood quality standards set by any internationally recognized, independent, accrediting organization.
Cryo-Cell International is ISO 9001:2008 certified by BSI, an internationally recognized, quality assessment organization.
Cryo-Cell is a leader in regenerative medicine research through collaborations with Stanford University, Saneron-CCEL Therapeutics and others, aiding in the discover of new therapeutic uses for stem cells. Cryo-Cell holds more cord blood patents than any other cord blood bank through its partnership with Saneron-CCEL.
Since inception, 100% of the specimens released by Cryo-Cell for transplant have been successfully viable upon thaw. Cryo-Cell International has released 74 cord blood collections for transplants and 40 cord blood collections for autologous therapy.
Patients treated with Cryo-Cell cord blood units were diagnosed with: Cerebral Palsy, Type 1 Diabetes, Chronic Myeloid Leukemia, Thalassemia Major, Chronic Myeloid Leukemia, Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia, childhood Apraxia of speech, Static Encephalopathy, Cerebral Hypoxia, Congenital Dyserythropoietic Anemia Type II, Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, Aplastic Anemia, Myeloblastic Acute Leukemia M2, Neuroblastoma, Sepsis following liver transplant, Ischemic Brain Injury, Asphyxia by semi-drowning, Lymphoblastic Acute Leukemia in second remission, Anoxic Brain Injury/ Angelman's Disorder, Sanfilippo Syndrome, T-Cell Lymphoma and Sickle Cell Anemia.
$75,000 Cryo-Cell Payment Guarantee: In the event that a client's cord blood, processed and stored by Cryo-Cell, is used for transplant and fails to engraft, Cryo-Cell will compensate the Client $75,000.
See limitations and exclusions in our program terms and conditions documents: The $75,000 Cryo-Cell Payment Guarantee
Donor Transplant Program: Cryo-Cell offers free cord blood processing and five years of storage to qualifying families, in the event an expectant family with a child or immediate family member (siblings or parents) that may potentially need a cord blood stem cell transplant in the near future.
Other Discounts Offered by Cryo-Cell
o Returning Client Discounts
o Referral Program
o Military Discounts
o Medical Professionals Discounts
o Childbirth Educators Discounts
• Annual Plan:
Cord blood collection, testing, processing
& first year of storage: $1924*
Cord blood & tissue collection, testing, processing
& first year of storage: $2624*
• 21 Year Plan:
Cord blood collection, testing, processing
& 21 years of pre-paid annual storage: $3799*
Cord blood & tissue collection, testing, processing
& 21 years of pre-paid annual storage: $6374*
*Excludes medical courier fee. Prices displayed are for New Clients, Single Birth only. Please contact Cryo-Cell for multiple birth and returning client prices. Visit http://www.cryo-cell.com/cord-blood-banking-costs for updated pricing information.
Financing Options: Cryo-Cell's family-friendly payment plans make cord blood banking and cord tissue banking easy to afford. Click here for more information regarding Cryo-Cell's payment plan options or 1-800-786-723.
Returning Clients and Multiple births: Cryo-Cell offer special discounts for returning clients and multiple births.
Gift Registry: With a simple phone call, Cryo-Cell makes it easy to help an expectant mother protect her family with cord blood banking. They can make a contribution to the account in any amount that suits their budget.
Cryo-Cell also offers Umbilical Cord Tissue Banking service. Umbilical cord tissue is rich in mesenchymal stem cells (MSC), which give rise to structural tissues such as bone, cartilage and muscle. MSC are currently being used in many clinical trials; for example treating cardiomyopathy, ulcerative colitis, diabetes, anemia, autism and cirrhosis of the liver. Cryo-Cell's cord tissue banking service processes and cryopreserves these cells for potential future therapeutic use.