AboutPolski Bank Komórek Macierzystych S.A. (PBKM), is the only family cord blood bank in Poland that is accredited by AABB and ISO 9001:2008. They lead the international banking network FamiCord, controlled by Enterprise Investors, that operates in more than 20 European countries and owns 5 laboratories. PBKM is also a founding member of Cord Blood Europe.
Bank Locations:Climes Sunu Banka (Riga)
Business Experience- FamiCord is currently controlled by Enterprise Investors.
- The history of Famicord began in 2002 with cord blood banking at the lab of PBKM.
- FamiCord currently (Feb. 2013) processes about 1200 cord blood collections per month, which gives them the 3rd position in Europe.
- FamiCord cord blood inventory among the bank's 4 labs is currently (Feb. 2013) more than 70.000, 4th largest in Europe.
- FamiCord began public banking in 2011 and now has more than 400 donations that may be searched by patients in need of a match.
- FamiCord owns a network of medical consultants and staff that answer telephones and e-mails.
- Number of employees within FamiCord Group: 200
Collection KitProprietary bag developed by CryoProfile Company for PBKM
Type of anti-coagulant: CPD
Transportation ContainerContainer is IATA certified
Shipping Info:The contract price includes shipping.
Processing Method- Laboratory technicians perform manual cell separation by sedimentation and centrifuge.
- Optional automated processing by Sepax is only available at Sevibe in Spain.
Components StoredThe final storage is the separated "buffy coat", a blood component that holds white cells and stem cells. Also 4 testing segments are stored.
Storage Method- Final storage in cord blood freezing bags packed in metal cassettes
- Freezer uses vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen
Licensing & AccreditationSome laboratories are accredited by their national Ministry of Health.
International accreditation of the laboratories owned by FamiCord:
Poland (Warsaw) - PBKM - AABB, ISO 9001:2008
Hungary (Budapest) - Krio - AABB, ISO 9001:2008
Spain (Girona) - Sevibe Cells -
Romania (Bucharest) - Biogenis -
Turkey (Ankara) - Yasam Bankasi -
Clinical Experience- FamiCord family storage released for transplants: 11
- FamiCord family storage released to the child who banked (autologous therapy): 1 (PBKM)
- FamiCord also collects cord blood donations for the public
- FamiCord participates in clinical trials (under bioethical committee approvals) using stem cells from cord blood and cord tissue.
GuaranteesIf the privately stored cord blood is released for treatment, the family will receive a monetary amount to help cover the costs of therapy.
Community Service- Free banking to families where an immediate relative has a diagnosis for which transplantation is standard therapy.
- Discounts to medical doctors.
PricesFamiCord total cost = $200 (enrollment) + $500 (processing) + $125 (annual storage fee)
Discounts for pre-paid annual storage: 20 years in advance costs 1500$
Payment plans and discounts available upon request
Additional ServicesStorage of umbilical cord tissue, aka Wharton's Jelly
Newborn genetic testing