Virgin Health Bank - Qatar
AboutVirgin Health Bank QSTP-LLC was developed to meet the needs of families in Qatar who are considering banking their baby’s cord blood stem cells and want the support of an ethically motivated cord blood bank committed to delivering high quality service. Virgin Health Bank runs Qatar’s first cord blood stem cell processing and cryopreservation facility which is situated in the Qatar Science & Technology Park. Virgin Health Bank is a joint venture between Qatar Foundation, Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Group and Professor Sir Christopher Evan’s Excalibur Grou.
Business ExperienceVirgin Health Bank began operations in the UK in early 2007 and in Qatar in September 2009. They has signed formal agreements with all of Qatar’s maternity hospitals, trained their clinical staff in best practice collection techniques, and are able to offer its services to families delivering babies at all of Qatar’s maternity units. Virgin Health Bank has a team of bi-lingual (Arabic & English) Clinical Advisors who work within the community and the hospitals educating families about cord blood banking.
- Supplies provided for gravity collection into a blood bag
- Fenwal collection bag
- Alcohol & Chlorohexidine disinfection supplies
- CPDA-1 anti-coagulant
- Collection kit is sterile inside & outside for C-Section use.
- Container has gel packs
- Container is validated to maintain room temperature under test conditions.
- Container is guaranteed to maintain room temperature for a certain number of hours.
- Shipping arrangements are made by the Virgin Health Bank.
- Contract price includes shipping.
- Courier available 24 hours 7days a week.
Processing MethodAutomated, closed system, cell separation using the Sepax system from Biosafe is carried out in GMP clean room environment.
Components StoredParents are provided with a certificate describing test results (cell counts, viability). The final storage consists of the "buffy coat" component of the blood holding white cells and stem cells. Testing portionsare also stored.
- Final storage is in blood bags
- Storage container is encased in over wrap
- Temporary storage in quarantine freezer, then move to long term freezer
- Freezer uses vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen
Licensing & AccreditationLicensed by Qatar’s Supreme Council of Health.
Clinical ExperienceVirgin Health Bank of the UK has released one sample released from its Community Bank program which was used in a successful transplant in a National Health Service hospital in the UK.
InsuranceStorage fees paid in advance are held in an escrow account.
PricesTotal cost: QR12,950 covers family banking and 25 years of storage.
In the event that the cord blood could not be successfully stored, QR 10,000 will be refunded.