AboutEurocord-Slovakia is both a public and private cord blood bank operating its own laboratory. Public cord blood banking begun in 1999 and donations are listed on the BMDW registry. Eurocord-Slovakia is also a member of WMDA and Associated member of NetCord. Since 2001 Eurocord-Slovakia provides private cord blood banking for families, both directly and through Affiliate companies. Eurocord-Slovakia released the cord blood for the first autologous use in the EU in 2004.
Labs and LocationsEurocord-Slovakia operates as tissue establishment, owning and running their own processing and storage facilities in the Slovak Republic.
Eurocord-Slovakia closely cooperates with the Affiliate companies Cord Blood Center and Ceptra. Together, they serve parents throughout the Slovak Republic, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Austria and Italy.
Business Experience• Eurocord-Slovakia, in cooperation with their affiliate CEPTRA s.r.o., operates as both public and private cord blood bank.
• Eurocord-Slovakia and CEPTRA s.r.o. are members of the international Cord Blood Center Group, a leading cooperation of European cord blood banks with over 95,000 cord blood units stored for private and public use.
• Eurocord-Slovakia established its first laboratory in 1997 and cord blood banking begun in 1999; however our experts have had experience with cord blood processing since 1995.
• Eurocord-Slovakia released the first autologous cord blood therapy in Europe in 2004, for the successful treatment of 10 month old boy suffering medulloblastoma.
• Cord blood processed in Eurocord-Slovakia facilities has been used for autologous and allogenic treatment worldwide (U.S., Italy, France, Slovak Republic, Czech Republic, and Hungary).
• Eurocord-Slovakia has never been and does not intend to become involved in the storage or use of embryonic stem cells.
• Eurocord-Slovakia provides trained staff answering phone calls.
• Eurocord-Slovakia is a member of international professional organizations: BMDW, WMDA and NetCord.
Collection Kit• Eurocord-Slovakia prefers cord blood collection before delivery of placenta, because this will increase collected volume and therefore amount of collected stem cells.
• Eurocord-Slovakia collection kit is designed for gravity collection into bags. An extra kit for placental blood collection is added based on the agreement.
• Collection kit is available at all maternity hospitals, where medical staff is regularly trained for cord blood collection.
Transportation ContainerTransportation system (collection bag, boxes, packaging, etc) is audited and is in the compliance with ADR regulations.
Shipping Info:• Shipment fee is always a part of a contract with parents.
• Shipment is always arranged by Eurocord-Slovakia or CEPTRA coordinators. Courier is available at weekdays and holiday.
• The cooperating medical courier guarantees secure transport procedures designed for biology substances.
• Responsible persons are specially trained for handling biological material.
Processing MethodTo maintain the highest possible amount of stem cells for future treatment Eurocord-Slovakia and CORD BLOOD CENTER Group process and stores cord blood as a whole blood. The whole blood technique is the only way to store all possible stem cells found in cord blood such as: hematopoietic stem cells, mesenchymal stem cells, very small embryonic-like stem cells (VSELs) and similar. This allows more opportunities for cord blood use in future.
Components StoredEurocord-Slovakia stores cord blood in cryo-bags with 2-3 inseparably attached segments for identity testing. For each cord blood unit the following samples are stored: cord blood, cord blood plasma, maternal blood plasma, maternal blood cells, all for additional testing required prior to release for transplantation.
Storage MethodEurocord-Slovakia stores cord blood in cryo-bags with inseparably attached segments; all encased in secondary protective covering. Storage cryo-containers use vapor phase of liquid nitrogen. Direct after cryopreservation cord blood is stored in quarantine container, then moved to permanent storage facility.
Licensing & AccreditationEurocord-Slovakia processing and storage facilities are licensed and audited by national authorities - Ministry of Health and State Institute for Drug Control. Eurocord-Slovakia holds USA FDA registration for Human Cell, Tissues and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products No: 3006724169.
Clinical Experience• Within European private cord blood banks Eurocord-Slovakia and Cord Blood Center Group have the highest number of cord blood grafts released for standard transplants (due to the fact that the also operate as a public bank).
• Eurocord-Slovakia and Cord Blood Center Group have released 6 family cord blood units for self (autologous) therapy and sibling transplants and 11 cord blood units from their public bank for unrelated (allogenic) transplants (as of May 2011).
• Eurocord-Slovakia is also processing bone marrow and peripheral blood stem cell (PBSC) grafts for autologous or allogenic treatment of pediatric patients.
Insurance• If the cord blood is used for self therapy (autologous use), Eurocord-Slovakia will re-pay to family up to € 155,000 for transplantation fee. In addition Eurocord-Slovakia will provide € 30,000 contribution to support family to overcome hard times.
• Eurocord-Slovakia charge storage fees annually which secure continuous cash flow and eliminates any possible risk of company insolvency.
Community Service• Eurocord-Slovakia operates public cord blood bank connected to the international donor registry BMDW and the donor search system EMDIS.
• Eurocord-Slovakia provides a Sibling Donor Program: free cord blood banking for families if there is a sibling suffering disease treatable by stem cell transplantation.
• Discount for family cord blood banking is available for regular blood donors.
Prices• Basic price = 826€ for enrollment and processing + 58€ annual storage
• Available 4 or 7 monthly installments
• Shipment fee is always part of the contract, no hidden fees
• Discount for second child or twins and for regular blood donors
• Free cord blood banking for medical indication (sibling suffering disease treatable by cord blood transplantation).
• Parents are not charged any fees if cord blood collection was contaminated and it is not suitable for transplantation.
Additional Services• Combined Cord Blood + Placenta Blood banking based on the individual agreement
• Cord Tissue Banking based on the individual agreement