Cryo-Save South Africa
AboutCryo-Save is the largest family cord blood bank in Europe. With more than 200,000 samples stored and four fully-owned storage facilities throughout the world, Cryo-Save has over ten years experience and state-of-the-art
technical know-how, providing the basis for a strong and reliable organization. An ethical approach, scientific professionalism and customer-focused care are the core elements of our daily activities, as we strive to be an active player in life-science development in over 40 countries.
Labs and LocationsCryo-Save has been present in South Africa since 2002, but the new Cryo-Save South Africa was launched 13 Sept. 2011 and their laboratory is located in Cape Town. The lab is currently pursuing AABB accreditation. When this is achieved we will be proud to join India and Arabia as the 3rd Cryo-Save Lab to be AABB Accredited.
The full address of the Cryo-Save office in South Africa:
1st Floor, Building B - Bushwillow House,
Green Hill Village Office Park,
Corner Botterklapper & Nentabos Street,
The Willows, 0041 Pretoria, South Africa
Business ExperienceCryo-Save South Africa was launched 13 Sept. 2011 as the result of the joint venture between Cryo-Save Group N.V., the leading international family stem cell bank, and JSE listed John Daniel Holdings Ltd (formerly banking cord blood as Lazaron Biotechnologies). The new joint venture company offers clients in Southern Africa unmatched financial security and corporate governance. Clients can choose between local storage in the Cape Town lab or international storage at the Cryo-Save headquarters in Niel, Belgium.
Collection KitBefore the delivery of the baby, the Cryo-Save customer receives a collection kit enabling physicians or midwives to collect the umbilical cord blood. Cryo-Save provides them with adequate information and training beforehand as appropriate. The kit conforms to Art. 12 of the MDD and contains a proprietary blood bag with CPD anti-coagulant and all the necessary equipment for sterile collection of cord blood. All materials in the collection kit are sterile both inside & outside so that they can be used in an operating room during a C-Section.
- Cryo-Save's container conforms to Art. 12 of the MDD and is EU approved.
- Cryo-Save's container has activated cool packs AND thermal insulation in the transport box.
- Cryo-Save's container is validated to maintain temperature within set criteria under test conditions.
- Cryo-Save's container is guaranteed to maintain temperature for a certain number of hours, to permit a safe arrival at the lab.
- Cryo-Save's container includes a temperature logger (where mandatory).
Shipping Info:The contract price includes shipping. Soon after birth, the cord blood will be
picked up, on behalf of Cryo-Save, by a certified international courier service and taken to Cryo-Save's processing facility immediately thereafter (within 48 hours). There it will be checked, processed and cryo-preserved for further storage. The courier is available on weekends and holidays.
Processing MethodCryo-Save uses automated laboratory processing to reduce possible contamination and increase laboratory capacity. The Cryo-Save processing method is the automated Sepax system from the Swiss company Biosafe. Sepax is an automated cell separation system which relies on a light beam to sense the density gradient between different cell layers after the blood has been spun in a centrifuge. The bag kit is sterile, functionally closed, and single-use.
- Cord Blood
- Cord Tissue
- Blood components stored are the "buffy coat" fraction containing white cells and stem cells, plus 2 contiguous testing segments.
- We are in compliance with the DUTCH HUMAN TISSUE ACT (SAFETY AND QUALITY) - Register No. 108153L/EO. Cells from Cryo-Save are therefore acceptable for use in any International Transplant Programme.
Storage MethodThe stem cells are preserved using Sepax technology and their quantity and quality will be determined. They are then divided into two blood bags and preserved below -160°C in the vapour phase of cryogenic nitrogen. For additional safety, the bags can be stored at two physically separated
locations. Should the cord blood supplied not meet the minimum requirements, the parents may decide whether or not to store the sample to avoid any additional cost.
- Final storage is in blood bags
- Storage container is encased in over wrap
- Temporary storage in quarantine freezer, then move to long term freezer
- Computer controlled rate freezer is used to cool the stem cells
Licensing & AccreditationCryo-Save laboratories hold these accreditation awards
Cryo-Save Main EU Lab in Belgium: ISO 9001:2008, Belgian Government license issued by FAGG (medicines and health agency)
Cryo-Save Arabia in Dubai: AABB
Cryo-Save India: ISO 9001:2008, AABB
Cryo-Save South Africa is currently undergoing Accreditation
In addition, Cryo-Save holds the following:
- Certificate of Product Liability
- Dutch government license as a Tissue Bank issued by the Ministry of
Public Health, Welfare and Sport
Clinical ExperienceGlobally, the following cord blood collections were released by Cryo-Save:
- 8 samples have been released & transfused for therapies
- 4 released for various diagnostic testing
- 3 were released but the patient died before treatment
Among the 8 collections released for therapy:
- 3 for Cerebral Palsy clinical trial at Duke University in USA (autologous)
- 1 Medulloblastoma (autologous)
- 1 ALL leukemia (brother)
- 1 Congenital immunodeficiency (brother)
- 1 brain/head injury (autologous)
- 1 Aplastic Anemia (autologous)
Community ServiceCryo-Save offers its Cost-free Family Donation Programme, free of charge, to families wishing to store their newborn's umbilical cord blood stem cells for a family member diagnosed with a life-threatening disease currently treatable by stem cells. This programme is specifically designed to offer families in need the opportunity to have the cord blood stem cells of their expected newborn child collected and saved without any charges, aiming to treat a diseased first line relative in the near future.
In order to qualify, the family member must be diagnosed with a disease that is currently treatable with umbilical cord blood stem cells, be a first degree blood relative, and have an oncologist/haematologist who agrees that the stem cells can be used for treatment. If eligible, Cryo-Save will provide the collection kit and process and store the newborn's cord blood sample, until needed, without any cost to the family.
- Local storage services from R12 800
- International storage services from R20 800
- Dual storage services from R22 800
immediately meet the costs involved. To make this once in a lifetime
opportunity more affordable we have 6 flexible payment options allowing you to save these precious stem cells as an insurance policy for your child.
- Cryo-Save South Africa uniquely offers parents the opportunity to spread their investments by taking advantage of our DUAL STORAGE option in South Africa and Belgium.
- Storage of umbilical cord tissue
- Newborn Screening Test