AboutCariCord, the private cord blood bank of the University of Colorado, is the first and only bank to offer families the quality which comes from having your cord blood processed in a Class 10,000 clean room and FDA licensed laboratory. The CariCord laboratory and repository are located at the University of Colorado's Anschutz Medical Campus, part of the Colorado Science + Technology Park. This exclusive public-private venture delivers the highest quality cord blood processing to families choosing CariCord's services.
Labs and LocationsCariCord's Laboratory and Repository is located at the University of Colorado's ClinImmune Labs in Aurora, CO:
12635 E. Montview Blvd, Suite 300 Aurora, CO 80045-7116
ClinImmune Labs has a class 10,000 clean room and are FDA licensed. We are also accredited by FACT, AABB, CAP, CMS and ASHI. Our location is in the University of Colorado's Science + Technology Park; this affords CariCord access to a state of the art, fully integrated medical campus.
Business ExperienceCariCord, the private cord blood bank of the University of Colorado, gives clients who bank with CariCord the same industry leading quality available in publicly donated cord blood units. ClinImmune labs has over 17 years of experience processing cord blood units with over 8,500 collections stored and over 700 cord blood units released for patient transplants. ClinImmune, CariCord's lab, holds accreditations such as AABB, CAP, ASHI, FACT, and CMS and is one of only a handful of banks that are FDA licensed for cord blood banking.
Collection KitThe CariCord integrated cord blood and cord tissue collection kit ("CariKit") holds everything you will need for your cord blood and cord tissue collection.
• CariCord offers a temperature controlled cord blood and cord tissue kit, built to keep your cord blood at room temperature while in transit to our labs for processing.
• CariCord uses the FDA-approved Pall collection bag that contains citrate phosphate dextrose (CPD) anti-coagulant. CPD has been shown to act as an anticoagulant and preservative, to increase stem cell yields in cord blood collections.
• CariCord's sterile cord blood collection bag can be used in the Operating Room, for C-section deliveries.
• CariCord's cord blood and cord tissue collection kit provides a ChloraPrep® applicator to clean the umbilical cord prior to the collection of the cord blood and cord tissue.
Transportation ContainerThe CariCord cord blood and cord tissue integrated collection kit ("CariKit") is a validated temperature control kit which contains both gel packs and thermal insulation to ensure the cord blood remains at room temperature while in transit to our laboratory for processing.
• The CariKit was designed and tested to meet the only Industry Standard for the transportation of temperature-sensitive-biological products: ISTA Standard 20.
• Standard 20 was issued by the International Safe Transit Authority in 2011 to ensure that companies were held to the same level of compliance, when transporting biological (blood) products. CariCord is one of the first to comply with these standards for the CariKit cord blood and cord tissue integrated collection kit.
• The CariKit was tested under the only standardized hot and cold profiles in the industry, the ISTA 7E Heat and Cold Profiles. These were developed and issued by the International Safe Transit Authority (ISTA) so that transportation containers were environmentally stressed to all temperatures that it may encounter during shipment – whether being shipped in winter or in summer months.
• To ensure compliance to industry standards and guidelines, CariCord's cord blood and cord tissue integrated collection kit was independently designed and independently validated to maintain your cord blood at room temperature for over 24hrs.
• All independent parties are accredited to perform all aspects of design and validation testing for the CariKit cord blood and cord tissue collection kit.
Shipping Info:• Once the family notifies CariCord your cord blood collection is complete (by calling our toll free number on the side of the kit), CariCord will arrange for a courier to pick up your cord blood from your bedside and transport it to our laboratory.
• CariCord uses MNX medical courier service to arrange transportation of the cord blood and cord tissue unit to our laboratory, providing CariCord with a constant chain of custody and tracking option.
• CariCord's courier service is available 24/7, 365 days a year.
• CariCord's courier cost is included in your initial enrollment fee.
Processing MethodCariCord processes cord blood using either manual red blood cell depletion or the Sepax automated processing system, depending on the volume of the cord blood collection. Both methods have been licensed by the FDA for processing cord blood donations to the public bank at our laboratory.
Components StoredCariCord stores cord blood as a single unit with attached segments in a protective metal canister in the vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen. This system has been validated to preserve viability of the stem cells.
Storage MethodAt CariCord your cord blood unit is cryogenically preserved in the vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen, at -190 degrees Celsius, to eliminate the risk of cross contamination between cord blood units. At CariCord we preserve family cord blood units utilizing the same exact method, and in the same models of containers (called Dewars), as used for the FDA licensed public cord blood units.
Licensing & AccreditationCariCord cord blood units are processed in a class 10,000 clean room, in an FDA-licensed facility. Private cord blood units are not licensed, because they are designed for autologous (the donor) use. However, CariCord cord blood units are processed using the same laboratory procedures, equipment, supplies and handled by the same highly trained lab technicians that handle the licensed public cord blood banked units. No other family cord blood bank can make this claim. The CariCord lab also holds FACT, AABB, CAP, CMS and ASHI accreditations. Of the states that require licensing for cord blood, CariCord is licensed to collect cord blood in CA, MD, NY and pending in NJ.
Clinical ExperienceCariCord is the only private cord blood bank to be housed in a major medical university. CariCord's technical and medical directors have a combined 60 years of experience in stem cell transplants. The CariCord bank at the University of Colorado has processed more than 8,500 cord blood units and released more than 700 units for transplantation in 150 hospitals around the world. In addition, the laboratory has processed more than 1000 peripheral blood stem cell products for clinical transplantation.
Insurance• If CariCord receives your cord blood unit and it has a low cell count, CariCord will contact the family who then has the option to move forward with the storage of the cord blood unit or not.
• CariCord's storage fees are guaranteed not to change for the lifetime of the contract.
• Families who choose to take advantage of our prepaid storage plans and who use their cord blood units before they have reached their years prepaid will receive a reimbursement for the unused years of storage.
Community ServiceCariCord offers professional discounts to Military, Police, Fire, EMT, Veterans, University of Colorado students and alumni, and Medical Professionals.
CariCord will individually review all cases where a family member may have a medical need for the baby's cord blood stem cells, regardless of which hospital is being used to treat the patient.
For more information please call 844 CariCord (844.227.4267)
PricesCariCord is offering a $400 discount on the initial enrollment cost for cord blood banking: this includes enrollment, courier fee and processing for a total of $1995, which comes with a limited time offer of FIVE Years Free storage, which is an additional $750 value. Annual storage beginning at the child's sixth birthday is $150/year.
CariCord is offering a $500 discount on the initial enrollment cost for cord blood and tissue banking: this includes enrollment, courier fee, processing for $2690, which comes with a limited time offer of FIVE Years Free storage, which is an additional $1250 value. Annual storage beginning at the child's sixth birthday is $250/year.
CariCord also offers substantial discounts on prepaid storage and they can be realized WITHOUT paying a lump sum, as we will finance prepaid storage for up to 2 years with NO finance charges OR administrative fees.
For more information on current specials and payment plans, check our website www.caricord.com or call 844-CariCord (844.227.4267).
Additional Services• CariCord offers HLA typing at $495 to be completed before your cord blood unit is cryogenically preserved.
• CariCord offers Cord Tissue banking at $795 with annual storage fee at $150/yr.
Prices with Additional ServicesCariCord offers cord blood and cord tissue banking for $3190 which includes the first year of storage, processing fee and courier fee. Annual storage for cord blood and tissue beginning at the child's first birthday is $250/year. For more information on current specials and payment plans, check our website www.caricord.com or call 844-CariCord (844.227.4267).
CariCord also offers prepaid storage options:
• 10 years prepaid storage: $2250
• 15 years prepaid storage: $3000
• 20 years prepaid storage: $3750