AboutCells4Life stores more private cord blood samples than any other UK bank. It offers both whole or volume reduced cord blood and cord tissue so that the samples can be used for regenerative or transplant medicine. It uses the most advanced technology to collect 20% more stem cell types than any other UK bank; with whole cord blood it captures those cells currently known and even those that may yet be discovered. It is the only UK company whose laboratory is open 24/7, 365 days per year, to offer geographically separate dual storage locations and dedicate medical courier collection.
Labs and LocationsCells4Life owns their own laboratory located at:
Woodlands Office Park
Business ExperienceCells4Life was founded in 2002 and was the first private company to offer a stem cell storage and collection service in the UK. Today, it stores more private UK samples than any other bank. It has released whole cord blood samples to both the UK NHS and USA.
- It is the only UK company to offer both Whole Cord Blood or Volume Reduced processing methods
- It uses state-of-the-art technology to capture 20% more stem cells than any other UK cord blood bank
- It operates a 24/7 365 days per year laboratory
- All UK samples are collected by its medical courier service
- All samples are stored in 2 geographically separate locations to ensure maximum safety
Cells4Life office hours are between 08:00 and 18:00, Monday through Friday with Customer Service Representatives and Medical Advisors are available by phone outside of normal operating hours, 24/7, 365 days per year.
Collection KitEach Cells4Life Cord Blood Collection Kit provides the necessary contents for the safe collection of umbilical cord blood. Included within the tamper evident packaging, are:
- Pictorial instructions for the lawful collection of umbilical cord blood.
- Cord blood collection bags with DMSO anticoagulant (two provided in case of malfunction or emergency)
- Gauze swabs
- Chlorhexidine swabs to sterilize needle insertion point
- Cord blood packaging (to IATA specification)
- Maternal blood sample Collection Kit
- Ancillary items for procurement
When cord tissue is collected in addition to cord blood, the Cells4Life +Cord Collection Kit provides the following additional contents, within the tamper evident packaging:
- Pictorial instructions for the lawful collection of umbilical cord tissue
- DGP PATHOSEAL 95 (including absorbent pad)
- Cord collection pot
- Sterile Normasol™ saline sachets
- Disposable scissors
- Gauze swabs
- Piece of tissue
- For UK collections, the Collection Kit is validated to maintain room temperature under test conditions.
- For international collections, the Collection Kit has gel packs that allow the sample to be transported worldwide at 2-80C.
Shipping Info:Cells4Life makes all the initial shipping arrangements, with parents then responsible for notifying the courier that the sample is ready for collection.
- Courier collection in the UK operates 24/7, 365 days a year including weekends and holidays. This service is included in the base price for all UK collections.
- For shipping outside of the UK, additional costs may be incurred.
Processing MethodCells4Life stores whole umbilical cord blood and volume-reduced umbilical cord blood. To determine the viability of the sample, Cells4Life uses a Personal Cell Analyser (PCA) that allows the examination of cord blood rather than isolated cells. The PCA uses a laser to count the numbers of dead and viable cells within the sample. With these counted, the apparatus can determine with a high degree of accuracy the percentage viability and number of nucleated cells within the cord blood sample.
Components StoredParents are provided with a certificate describing test results (volume of blood stored, cell count, viability, cord blood and cord tissue sterility and maternal disease marker testing).
Storage MethodCells4Life stores the majority of the umbilical cord blood sample in a cryogenic bags AND smaller subsections of the sample in cryogenic vials. Following initial processing, the sample undergoes a controlled rate freeze for 24 hours to -80C and is then stored in vapour stage cryogenic nitrogen tanks at -180C.
Licensing & AccreditationLicensed by the Human Tissue Authority (HTA), license number 11083.
Clinical ExperienceCells4Life offers private umbilical cord blood and tissue storage and has released two whole cord blood samples to the UK NHS and USA for treatment.
GuaranteesThird party insurance.
PricesReturning customers receive a discount of £150 on any package
Cells4Life Platinum Service – whole cord blood storage
Prepaid 25 Year Storage Plan - £1,895
A deposit of £195 is payable upon booking and the remaining balance of £1,700 upon successful storage. This option includes a Storage Fee of £350 for 25 years of storage. (For twins £2,800 total: deposit £490, remaining £2,310 upon successful storage, this option includes £500 Storage Fee for 25 years of storage.)
Annual Payment Storage Plan - £1,095
A deposit of £195 is payable upon booking and the remaining balance of £900 upon successful storage. An annual Storage Fee of £75 is payable starting at the end of the first year. (For twins £1,640 total: deposit £390, remaining £1,250 upon successful storage, annual storage fee of £150 is payable starting at the end of the first year.)
Cells4Life Gold Service – volume-reduced cord blood storage
Prepaid 25 Year Storage Plan - £1,695
A deposit of £195 is payable upon booking and the remaining balance of £1,500 upon successful storage. This option includes a Storage Fee of £350 for 25 years of storage. (For twins £2,550 total: deposit £390, remaining £2,160 upon successful storage, this option includes £500 for 25 years of storage.)
Annual Payment Storage Plan - £1,095
A deposit of £195 is payable upon booking and the remaining balance of £900 upon successful storage. An annual Storage Fee of £50 is payable starting at the end of the first year. (For twins £1,590 total: deposit £390, remaining £1,200 upon successful storage, annual storage fee of £100 is payable starting at the end of the first year.)
- Phlebotomy Service: £300
- +Cord: store a section of the umbilical cord: £475
- New services to be introduced soon: Storage of dental pulp stem cells and adipose (fat) tissue stem cells.